11 | Nobility (I)

2412, Tull 30, Velpa

Xanthy's butt hurt from being cooped up in the carriage for too long. The last three days blurred in her mind in a snapshot of people, carts, and an explosion of fairy dialects being spoken around. Blue flowers fallen from snedil trees lined the clearing as the carriage entered the Nobility region through the Magic Road.

Xanthy wrinkled her nose at the apparent arrogance the nobles didn't bother hiding. The Magic Road, as it was used by fairies and Common businessmen, was flanked with groves of trees that formed the forest that once covered Cardina.

Now, the trees' only purpose was to make sure that the nobles would have less chances of encountering people from the lower class or from a different race, altogether.

Xanthy sighed and looked at the hands folded atop her skirt. Not too long ago, these hands and the magic now burning inside her had torn a man to death. Whenever Xanthy thought about it, her blood froze and nausea gripped her head.

She could say that the man deserved what came upon him. He was part of a repressive system that attacked innocent half-bloods based on prejudice. Xanthy was there to deliver the punishment.

But was she, really? What if it was something that would doom her in Pidmena's realm?

Xanthy took a shaky breath. Her head pulsed with questions as well as the dread that came with them. She shook her head.

Vikara shifted from her seat. A frown was etched deep in the woman's aging face as she glanced at the outside world through the glass window. Klaire trunks, with their alternating stripes, blazed through the trail and were interwoven within the mass of yellow green Snedil leaves.

It was a charming view. The wind outside blew, rustling the hair-like leaves of the klaire trees. Shrill tinkles like small bells ringing echoed in the silence of the forest.

Vulkraine, with their colorful plumage and their fluffy antennate between their eyes, strutted at the forest floor and pecked at rocks, the fallen flowers, and the trees' trunks. The varying animal cries and the occasional chatter could be attributed to these creatures who were known to mimic everything they hear.

Xanthy bit down on her tongue before she could ask how long they were supposed to remain on this Road. Judging from the volume and the timing of their departure, it wouldn't take long for the Civil Guards to pinpoint Xanthy's location.

A sigh escaped her lips, making Nyxis glance her way from his seat opposite hers. She smiled and shook her head at him. Even though they've just met three days ago, Nyxis had warmed to everyone, including Vikara. What charm this boy had.

From beside Xanthy, Reeca massaged her wrists after having spent the whole day yesterday weaving trailcloakers for everyone per Vikara's request.

"Civil Guards probably have memorized your trails," Vikara had explained to quiet Reeca of her whinings. "It is best to be safe by cloaking our trails."