22 | Explanation (II)

2412 Strilaxis 4, Briss

Xanthy's head was being roasted in a fireplace.

Her eyes flitted behind her lids, browsing through the memories spearing through her mind like a plucked bowstring. Faces familiar but not quite flashed in her mind in a montage of what's supposed to be her life before the Disfavoreds.

Curiously, she didn't know which of those faces were her parents'.

The scene swirled and shifted until Xanthy was standing at the foyer of her Disfavored house. Sunlight she couldn't feel shone through the hole June tore into the roof. A smile tickled the corner of her lips. It had been a long time.

Everything was in their place as Xanthy remembered it. Even the fretboard was missing from the pile.

About time.

Xanthy whirled to the source of the voice until she came face to face with...herself. Except it couldn't be because she didn't have luscious, waist-length hair and fancy sand brown robes.

Not-Xanthy blinked her chestnut brown eyes at Xanthy. The button nose wrinkled. She raised her hand in an awkward wave. Hello.

Xanthy flinched and recoiled. Holy gods of Calaris.

The voice echoed in Xanthy's skull, mimicking a draft blowing through her ears. Cool, soft, and calm. Unlike Xanthy's hoarse and cutting diction.

This wasn't her. It was someone else. Why did they have the same face, though?

It shouldn't be such as a surprise after what you went through, Not-Xanthy pouted. Then, she shook her head, Xanthy narrowed her eyes. So that was what she looked like when she's shaking her head. Well, that's...a strange thing to see.

Xanthy cleared her throat. Even in dreams, the grating sound at the back of her throat felt so real. "Do you have a name?"

I'm Ravalee, the girl crossed her arms with a smile. Ravalee Vivenca.

That name again. Xanthy's supposed family name. Did that mean they're sisters? Twins?

"Why do you look like me?" Xanthy squinted. "Are we related?"

Ravalee snorted. Related? she waved her hand in front of her face before facing Xanthy. We're the same soul, silly.

Xanthy's guts tightened. Souls? She blinked.

You're familiar with the parts of the soul, correct? Ravalee slapped her forehead and braced her hips.

Xanthy nodded. "June mentioned them some time ago," she tapped her chin. "Uh, there's the form, the shadow, the legacy, and trail and uh...that weird thing."

Synnavaim, Ravalee supplied.

"Yeah."

Ravalee sighed. We're from one soul that once had all that, her throat bobbed when she swallowed. After our parents performed the soul split—