TWELVE

You aren't exactly sure how you ended up in the car with Reid driving back to your apartment in complete silence. You only remember agreeing to do JJ a favour, and it somehow ended up with you agreeing to drive him home since he took a cab to Rossi's with Heather. You weren't exactly in a position to say no since the guy just found out he was being cheated on and broke up with his girlfriend in the same night. You ended up agreeing, since you felt bad for Reid, knowing firsthand how it sucks to be cheated on by someone you thought you could trust. It was the entire premise of why you transferred to the BAU in the first place.

He's been quiet for the entire night, which you can't blame him for, especially after the events of the evening. You could occasionally feel his eyes on you when you're driving, but he never says anything, so you're stuck listening to the radio to try and fill the silence. By the time you pull up to your apartment, he's in a world of his own, with his head leaning against the window, clearly deep in thought.

"Reid," you say softly, but he doesn't seem to hear you. "Spencer?" His head turns to you, eyebrows raised in shock. His first name sounds foreign on your tongue, and you're sure you haven't called him that once since you started, and he seemed to be thinking the same thing as you. "We're here."

"Oh." He unbuckles his seatbelt and maneuvers his way out of your car, giving you a tight-lipped smile as you walk away from the car. "Thanks for the ride," he says quietly, "I really appreciate it."

You smile softly as you enter the front of your building, him crossing the street to go into his own apartment. You call Nate back once in the safety of your own apartment, and do your usual nightly routine of watching a movie together until you fall asleep. Except this time you actually find yourself able to sleep in your bed for the first time since the whole ordeal. You both discuss the idea of you flying out for a visit soon, and you think it's long overdue, even though you're fearful of running into your ex-boyfriend if you fly out. His being there is the only thing preventing you from buying a ticket right now because four months isn't enough time for you to work up the courage to see him. Especially after your goodbye-- if you could even call it that because you packed your bags and were gone the next day without another word.

The movie selected tonight was by Nate again, his selection consisting of Superbad tonight, and you're grateful for the fact that it's not another horror movie because you couldn't sleep for hours after he picked a scary film last time. At some point around two am, you fall asleep as the music from the credits sound, and you can hear Nate talking softly in the background, and you feel partly guilty for falling asleep on him. But he's used to it by now, usually wishing you a goodnight, not bothering to hang up the phone until you're both awake in the morning.

When you wake up the next morning, Hotch had already let everyone on the team know that there was a case this morning, which you weren't looking forward to. You quickly change into a pair of black pants with a red blouse, finishing off the outfit with leather booties. You tie your hair back into a ponytail and holster your gun on your hip, sipping your coffee in your to-go mug as you jog to your car, driving to the office.

Everyone's already gathered when you arrive, and you walk in the direction of the conference room, stopping abruptly before entering the room at the familiar face standing at the front beside Hotch. "Oh good, Y/L/N, you're here. I believe the two of you have already met, this is Tristan Forrester. I've actually brought him in to consult on this case." He gives you a small smile, but you remain frozen in place.

"Y/N and I actually worked together back in Boston. Isn't that right, Y/N?" You nod absently, still in absolute shock from seeing him in front of you. He walks over to shake your hand with his signature grin on his face, and you glance down at it, feeling the rage already bubbling inside you at his audacity. You brush past him and take a seat in between Morgan and Reid without another word.