23. First Light

✧✧✧

    Taehyung's crystal laughter rang through the valley as he and Jungkook sprinted over the hills; hand in hand, heart in heart. Jungkook felt like a schoolboy again, endowed with all the exhilaration of a first love. The lantern flame had long since been extinguished by the sloshing of liquid wax in its perch but the boys stumbled forward, fueled by the light of the moon and an indescribable feeling of 'what next?'

Jungkook's cabin bounced into view, its peaked roof growing taller as they grew closer. A light breeze pushed towards them the melodic tune of windchimes, a strange mix of eerie and dreamy in the dead of night. When they paused at the front door, Taehyung snatched the opportunity to tilt Jungkook's head towards him and kiss him again, standing on his tiptoes to span the space between them. Jungkook's chest dropped to his heels and he stood frozen in the doorway for a moment, shocked, before Taehyung tugged him indoors.

Everything seemed to be passing fast and slow all at once, a rumble of feelings and light and dark and warmth speeding by like the sun viewed through teary eyes. After multiple attempts at washing his face for bed, Jungkook instead found himself climbing to the roof. At the top of the ladder he reached out to Taehyung, who was just behind him. Instead of a hand, Taehyung pressed his mug of steaming milk into Jungkook's waiting grasp and lugged himself onto the roof, peering over the edge only for a second before shaking his head and getting to shaky feet. Jungkook pressed his free hand against the small of Taehyung's back as they climbed. Not entirely necessary, but - who was he to give up a prime opportunity?

Silver fell over his face as Taehyung plopped himself down on a gently slanted portion of the roof, long legs stretched out to brace himself. Jungkook stepped forward, about to sit down, when Taehyung suddenly gasped. The noise was loud enough that Jungkook started, causing a bit of milk to slosh over the rim of the mug.

"We forgot the blanket," Taehyung whispered. He looked wide-eyed up at Jungkook, who wordlessly gave back the milk before any more could be fed to the roof. Then he grinned and lowered himself to his butt, shuffling over so his entire right side was pressed up against Taehyung. His skin still sparked at the contact.

"I have a better idea?" The question was presented softly; cautiously.

Taehyung tilted his head, and then an elated expression crossed his face when Jungkook opened his arms; an invite to fold into his embrace. He practically fell into Jungkook's chest, humming contentedly when the younger's arms crossed over his shoulders, fingers locked together. From his position, Jungkook peered down at the top of Taehyung's head and the dark outline of the tip of his nose. He was reminded of that foggy day by the fire, when they'd read in a position shockingly similar to this one. It seemed so long ago now, but this time Jungkook barely hesitated before dropping a soft kiss to the top of Taehyung's head. Taehyung pressed closer in response.

The night was spent quietly; words seeming too cluttered a thing for the perfect sky and clear air. No feeling like the one that possessed him now had ever brushed Jungkook's mind before, and he felt himself lulled into a gentle pocket of partial sleep. The mindless tapping of Taehyung's fingers on his palm seemed to say: I am happy. Are you?

And the threading of hands in hands seemed to reply, yes yes yes yes yes.

    -  

The rising sun saw Taehyung curled among white blankets, hair spread about his face like the yellow rays creeping through their bedroom window. Soft breathing reached Jungkook's ears where he lay beside, eyes open but gazing at nothing as he gathered his mind from the recesses of shallow sleep. A soft buzzing came from the corner of the room, where a bee had gotten trapped indoors. The sound turned on and off, tiny wings straining against hope, until Jungkook, sensing its distress, slid from the sheets and cupped the insect with one hand, coaxing it into the cage of his palm. With the other he unhooked the brass window latch and cracked it open, marveling briefly at the heightened warmth which struck his form, then allowed the bee to climb onto the outdoor window sill. It soon regained its bearings and bumbled into the open sky.

Leaving the window open to slowly infuse the room with music and warmth, Jungkook turned and returned to his bed, seating himself slowly so as not to wake Taehyung. To see him sleeping there, peaceful and so lovely, claimed no metaphor in Jungkook's mind - there were none quite bold enough. And so he lowered himself down to his side, the slow rise and fall of Taehyung's chest a lullaby of sorts for his drooping lashes. Feeling comfortable with one hand pillowed under his head, he allowed the lazy morning to claim his mind once more and drifted back into a dreamless sleep. 

--------------------

Just a short one today <3 But honestly I'm kinda in loooveee with this excerpt, especially the morning scene - I hadn't written in a while when I started writing it but the words flowed so smoothly and the vibes are so calming and nice ^^ 

Hope u enjoyed, and a longer chap is coming soon!! 

P.S. Bees are actually very gentle and sweet! They want nuthin to do with humans, and as long as you're pretty gentle with them and they aren't too distressed they won't sting you even if you pick them up :) - Jungkook the bee whisperer 

- Ko <3