20. Golden Days

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

The sun hadn't dipped below the horizon yet, but Sinju was already alight with excitement and life. On every corner, golden lanterns danced in tandem with the melting glow of daylight. A group of schoolgirls played melodic instruments in the center of the city square, and the sweet music wove its way through the buzzing crowd, providing a pleasant accent to the drone of laughter. A couple people sat on their roofs or balconies but most spilled onto the clustered streets surrounding the heart of town, purchasing food and keepsakes from small vendors or catching up with old friends. Seokjin and Namjoon were busy selling special festival rolls and sweets, but they'd close up soon to join their friends. Currently, Jungkook, Taehyung and Hoseok sat on a street curb just outside the densest part of the crowd. A mounted torch cast flickering shadows onto the cobbled ground, stretching and growing in a way that proved simultaneously eerie and beautiful. Taehyung bounced with unhinged excitement. His necklace glimmered on his chest and he clutched Jungkook's sleeve ardently.

"So many people," he muttered in awe for what was probably the sixth time that night. Jungkook stretched his neck out, eyes searching, and then stood. Taehyung popped up alongside him but Hoseok stayed seated, one cheek resting on his open palm. In the dim lighting, he almost looked asleep.

"Sorry sorry sorry, my mom was embarrassing me," Jimin whined between pants as he reached the group, dishevelled from his and Yoongi's jog across town. "She kept asking Yoongi all this stuff about holidays in Seoul and if he's ever eaten this and that and if I would be home by ten and I had to remind her that I am twenty three years old and literally bought my own house last wee- is Hoseok asleep?"

Nobody spoke, and Jimin poked Hoseok's arm with the tip of his shoe. The older man's head lolled to the side for a second and then he sprung up suddenly, eyes wide and alert.

"What- who- sorry-" he spluttered, wobbling slightly on unsteady feet.

Jimin's brows furrowed as he laughed.

"Wake up! We haven't even gotten started yet - a wild night of dancing and alcohol awaits us!" he proclaimed, grabbing Yoongi's hand and lifting it up so he could twirl underneath.

Hoseok shrugged and stretched his arms into the air.

"I got bored."

"Well as I was saying before, we got held up by my loving but entirely inefficient mother." Jimin repeated. "And you are all now graced with my presence, so let's go!"

Jimin was skipping away before he even finished his sentence, the invitation to follow dangling heavy in his wake. Jungkook felt Taehyung's hand light on his mid-back - an electric but comforting feeling - and he strode into the night after his best friend, the energy buzzing in the air already lighting up emotions he didn't even remember existed.