13. Maneki Neko

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

"Tae, you're gonna absolutely love Jiminie and Hoseok," Jungkook gushed, dragging a bouncing Taehyung along behind him as the duo entered town. The day's weather couldn't have been any better - summer sun smiled down from crystal blue skies cloudless in every direction and a light breeze danced playfully across sun-warmed skin, carrying with it the sweet scent of blooming flowers.

"I can't believe they're finally coming back," the brunette continued. "Now you get to meet my whole family - they're totally all gonna love you. Namjoon and Jin already do."

Taehyung smiled gleefully at Jungkook, absolutely endeared by this rare, excitable side of the other which seemed to be presenting itself more often now.

The two were still smiling all the way through town and as they burst into the bakery, door bell nearly falling off its ribbon with the force of the door being slung open.

"Well somebody's excited," Namjoon chided, looking up from where he stood at the register. Jungkook wrinkled his nose and shook his head teasingly while Namjoon's eyes sparkled with just as much excitement as the younger.

"Jin is out running some errands again, so you two can just wait here for a bit. I have fresh Hotteok if you want some," he informed them, shuffling some unseen items around habitually.

Grinning, Jungkook turned his head to Taehyung, expecting him to be bubbling at the mention of food - but surprisingly, the other hadn't elicited any sort of reaction at all. In fact, his chest was tensed and turned all the way towards the window and Jungkook tilted his head, confused.

"... Tae?" Jungkook prompted, fingers tightening around Taehyung's hand briefly.

At the action, the silver boy shuffled backwards so he was pressed into Jungkook's side, head still facing the other direction as he whispered: "What... is that?"

Jungkook followed his gaze to the windowsill, where, bathed in a sunflower glow, lay an orange tabby cat, tail flicking back and forth as it snoozed in the warmth.

"You mean Neko?"

Tae finally looked back and, from their close proximity, his widened eyes lent to a somewhat comically intense expression.

"That's Jimin's cat," Namjoon piped up from the back. If anyone had been looking they would certainly notice the faint smirk lingering on his lips as he took in the two youngers - their hands still clasped together and barely an inch of space between them, as if oxygen only existed when breathed in each other's space. "She lives with us when Jimin's away but she only likes him so we rarely pet her or anything." He shrugged. "You can try if you want though."

Taehyung frowned then, glancing at the animal and then back at Jungkook; asking for confirmation that he could, indeed, pet the cat. Jungkook just shrugged in confirmation so slowly, Tae crept forward to squat down right next to Neko, who cracked her eyes open slightly to observe with haughty curiosity.

Jungkook smiled, then crossed to the counter where Namjoon gave him a sly side-eyed look.

"... what?"

"So you mean to tell me-" Namjoon deadpanned in a low voice, eyebrows so high they nearly threatened to disappear into his hairline "-that our lovely Taehyung is some long-lost cousin and not, in fact, sleeping in the same bed as you?"

The next few seconds of silence hung boulder-heavy.

"Namjoon," Jungkook burst through bared teeth, tinted cheeks deepening by the second. His hands flew from clasped together to reaching out to covering his face repeatedly and he looked at his hyung, mortified. "We are not together," he hissed, glaring.

"Buuuttt you want to be," Joon prodded.

Did he?

... yes.

"No."

Namjoon settled back, expression entirely disbelieving.

"Whatever you say then, Kook. But at least admit that he's not your cousin, cause that was a terrible lie."

Jungkook pouted.

"Fine. No, he's not. But it's a really... long story, so I can't tell you now."

Namjoon's smile softened and he reached over to place a hand on Jungkook's shoulder.

"You know I'm just teasing. You're very different around him, is all. More yourself than you've been for... well, a long time. He makes you happy, and that makes us happy."

Jungkook deflated at that and opened his mouth to reply when suddenly Namjoon stiffened and he whipped his head around, already moving toward the back of the shop.

"Shit, sorry, nice talk Kook, I uh.. may have accidentally left some bread in the oven, I gotta go!" He tossed one more soft look over his shoulder before disappearing, muttered curses filtering back through the curtain. Jungkook shook his head, the other's last words echoing through his head. He was happier with Taehyung. And it didn't take a genius to figure that out.

"Hey TaeTae, how's Neko-" Jungkook's words slowed to honey at the end of his sentence as he turned to look at Taehyung. The other was laying on the floor, face right in front of the cat's and one hand raised as he stroked through its soft orange fur. Dust fairies flitted around the air, dancing in and out of sunbeams to music only they could hear, and Jungkook could hear a soft rumbling purr as he slowly approached. The sunshine turned Taehyung's hair a rich yellow instead of silver and when Jungkook sat down and looked him in the eyes, he could see that those were gold, too. He was sure that if Taehyung were made of glass his heart would be of the purest gold the world had to offer.

"Hey."

"Hi, Kookie. Lay down with me?"

Jungkook obliged without question, lowering himself to the floor so the three of them formed a sort of triangle. Taehyung's hand stayed on the cat but his attention was now directed at Jungkook, who gazed back just as intently.

"She's cute, right?" The brown-haired boy asked after a little while.

"Mmm. Cute," Taehyung repeated, mulling the word over. "Yes."

Another few seconds of silence, in which Jungkook busied himself in memorizing the strong slope of Tae's nose, his thick lashes, the curve of his lips. Wondered, once again, what it would be like to kiss them; but this time, didn't ask himself why.

"You are cute, Jungkook. Even cuter than Neko."

Jungkook blinked. Taehyung thought he was cute-

-------------------------

so uhhhh you didn't hear this from me but... REDALERTSOMEBODYHASAPHATCRUSHONTAETAEOKBYE

- Kiki <3