15. Rain or Shine

"So now he's your friend, eh?" Jin questioned suggestively, bumping Jungkook's shoulder lightly with his own. "Last time I checked he was a cousin."

Jungkook's eyes widened and he unconsciously shrunk into himself, mind whirring for an explanation but coming up slate-blank.

At the sight of the younger's reaction Jin started laughing, contagious noise filtering through the air and briefly turning heads.

"Jungkook, I'm joking," Jin told him with a smack to the arm. "Don't worry about it - you look like I just handed you the deed to my children or something," he continued, still snickering but lowering the volume considerably.

"Well please don't do that either-"

"I wouldn't trust myself with my children, you think I'm gonna trust you?"

Jungkook shot him a side-eyed glare.

"Just... the real story is very long. And you wouldn't believe me even if I did tell you."

"Okay," Jin shrugged. "But I've heard some strange stories in my long, long life on this earth, so you might be surprised what I'll believe."

"Seokjin, you are literally only like five years older than me," Jungkook deadpanned.

"Yeah, that's half of an entire decade you peasant! Five years' worth of respect for your elder! Dish it up!"

Jungkook growled jokingly in response, shoving his side into Jin's in an attempt to knock him off-path.

"Hey!" Jin yelled, while Jungkook quickly scurried away to escape his impending doom, wicked smile plastered on his face.

"Sorry, grandpa - guess you're too old to catch me then," Jungkook taunted, swerving around Namjoon to use him as a human shield while the other man glanced down in surprise, features smoothing to annoyed acceptance upon recognition of the familiar banter.

"Get back here you little-"

Jin's exclamation was cut off by a sudden loud, unearthly screech. The high-pitched noise brought the entire group to a screeching halt, all seven heads swerving at once to pinpoint its source.

"What in the - Chae Yeon?"

Jungkook laughed out loud when he spotted the little girl's bobbing brown head hurrying straight towards the group. Jimin's laughter mirrored his own; a bright, merry giggle that never stopped as he crouched down to accept Chae Yeon's tiny form as she barreled into his chest, exactly as had been her greeting for as long as anybody could remember. .

"My gosh! You got so big!" Jimin gushed, brushing her wild hair out of her face to reveal big, sparkling eyes.

"You were gone for so loooonnggg and Jungkookie baarely even visited me and I hope you brought me something yummy and maybe now we can all play hide and seek again!" she whined, snuggling her face into Jimin's chest as he stood up, picking her slight form of the ground with ease. To the side, poor Yoongi's heart looked like it might just seep out of his body and float away what with the expression of absolute adoration he had plastered all over his face.

Jungkook frowned.

"Hey, I visited you all the time you little demon!" He paused, thinking back. "Except this last week, cause I was really busy with... things."

Taehyung. Jungkook had been busy with Taehyung. Now, his heart turned slightly guilty as he realized he'd completely forgotten to come visit his little friend.

Chae Yeon didn't even acknowledge his words as she continued speaking to Jimin, tiny hands fluffing up his bright pink hair.

Jungkook wilted lower than a flower in winter - until Taehyung snuck up behind him to rest his chin on the other's shoulder, gazing upon Chae Yeon and Jimin with the same curiosity as he'd held as he played with Neko.

"That is a very tiny human...?"

"Yes, she's a child," Jungkook whispered, lips pressed together to stop the inevitable grin courtesy of Tae's cute albeit amusing observations. "A child who is currently giving me the silent treatment because she's mad at me."

"Don't worry, Kook, you know you're her favorite; the kid'll be back to clinging to you within the hour, I guarantee it," Namjoon supplied, patting the younger on his non-occupied shoulder.

Now Jimin had somehow roped Yoongi into to holding her - even though, technically, she was really too big to be carried around anyways - and Yoongi looked like he might be more comfortable holding an active bomb, but Jimin gave him a single loving look and the black-haired man melted into an amenable little puddle on the ground.

"Yeah." Jungkook drooped again when Tae padded away to join the Chae fanclub, where Hoseok was doing a strange dance somewhat reminiscent of a turkey's mating call. "I guess."

"Cheer up cheer up, my Jungkookie!" Seokjin exclaimed, throwing his arm around Jungkook's shoulders in a warm half-embrace. His grin turned mischievous when he spoke next, intentionally low and close to Jungkook's ear for maximum fake effect: "That Soju I've been saving for a special occasion? Well, this is pretty special, dontcha think?"

The younger turned his head, eyes narrowing from the implied meaning of those words.

"Fire bomb competition?"

"Fire bomb competition."

From aside, Namjoon just groaned.

------------------------------------------

UGHHHH I'm literally so sorry I never update, but school and 15-page calculus papers are rlly kicking my ass rn u know-

- Kiki <3