6. Sweeter Than Honey

The rest of his shopping went fairly smoothly, and Jungkook was overjoyed when he snagged a fresh pair of cotton sheets from a fabric store for a discounted price

The rest of his shopping went fairly smoothly, and Jungkook was overjoyed when he snagged a fresh pair of cotton sheets from a fabric store for a discounted price. Solid white and unpatterned, they certainly weren't anything fancy, but they'd get the job done.

Eggs, milk, and clothes were the last things on Jungkook's list, but the animal produce items he always picked up last since they were breakable.

He'd seen plenty of clothing stands as he walked around, but the pieces either looked hideously uncomfortable or flaunted prices far above Jungkook's quickly-dwindling pocket money. Now, as he staggered about down a side street with his multiple bags and packages, he was beginning to worry there might not be anything suitable for Taehyung in the square, and that he'd have to make an extra trip to one of the outsourced clothing outlets. He frowned, trying to recall when the last time he'd bought clothing for himself had been.

"KOOKIEEE!"

Jungkook spun around, delayed by the extra weight of his assorted parcels, and then immediately dropped them flat onto the ground. His then-empty arms opened wide in surprised haste as a tiny blur of a human being threw itself into them, nearly knocking the grown man over. His grip tightened so as not to let the small girl clinging to him fall, and she snuggled her face into his shirt before looking up at Jungkook with wide doe eyes, toes barely suspended off the ground.

"Kookie!" She said again, and Jungkook's face split into a wide grin.

"Chae Yeon!" Jungkook exclaimed with the same amount of vigor, loosening his grip just enough so her feet were once again planted on the ground.

Chae Yeon was eight, and she along with both her parents lived in the heart of town. When Jungkook's mother was still alive, she and Chae's mom had been good friends, so Jungkook often babysat Chae while the two went out or just chatted. To this day, he always visited her when he came to town. She brought him just a little of the joy that had seemed to vanish almost completely when his mom died.

"Kookie you haven't come to visit me in so loooong," the girl whined, drawing out the last word in a prolonged pout.

Jungkook laughed, then squatted down so he was nearly eye-level with the girl, bringing up a hand to boop her lightly on the nose with one finger. She giggled, and the noise made Jungkook smile even wider.

"That's because yoouu ate all my Hotteok last time I came to town," he replied in the same whiny tone.

The girl removed her short arms from around Jungkook and crossed them over her chest, reciprocating with a pouty look.

"You gave them to me," she retaliated.

"I know, I know," Jungkook told her. "I was teasing."

Chae Yeon stuck her tongue out at him.

"Look what I brought you today though!" Jungkook exclaimed suddenly. The little girl's playful annoyance melted into excitement as she watched him reach into the big bag from Namjoon and Jin's shop. He pulled out the smaller one and set it on the ground by his feet, then leaned back so he was sitting on his butt instead of squatting.