𝐂.18

scuba on

SLOWLY SAILING PAST the edge of the island, where the sand finally falls into the murky waters, the HMS POGUE circles towards the Camerons' family yacht. John B crouches as he drifts next to the stern side. Marty quickly tethers the salted rope to the metal cleats, tightening it. Once John B sees that the two boats aren't going to stray apart, he shuts off the noisy engine. "This is a bad idea, Marty."

"Of course it is. It's J's idea." Marty scoffs, heaving herself on board. "Stay here."

She rolls over the side and softly lands on the plastic wood. She grins as she spots the door for the abaft and cockpit.

Tiptoeing towards it, she hears laughter and giggles coming from the main island. She turns her head quickly to see Sarah, Ward, Wheezie, Rose, and special guests of Topper and Nicki having brunch. A voice calls to Ward, a familiar one at that, her father's.

Martha's eyes widen in shock as she sees her dad walking shoulder-to-shoulder with Rafe Cameron.

What are they talking about? Are they close? How the hell did that happen? They're laughing now?! What if my dad doesn't believe me? What am I gonna do? What the fuck!

"Hey!" John B whispers as he waves his hand in front of Marty's frozen face. Martha shakes her head quickly, turning around to deadpan her friend.

"I told you to stay on the POGUE."

"You need the keys, dumbass," he taunts, jiggling the keys in front of her face.

She squints her eyes, "you're lucky I'm helping you. Don't make me change my mind." John B grins mischievously and pushes the key in.

The pair of friends walk into the luxurious room, eyeing a small kitchenette, a bathroom the size of a closet, and a pullout couch with a television for the living room. A door led downstairs to the scuba gear and other boat equipment, according to John B. Martha didn't go with him, she just looked around the room, admiring the cozy nautical decorations and old pictures.

"Got it, let's go" he stated once he made it back upstairs. Martha nods and follows him out the door.

"Oh. Hey!" Sarah says, catching the pair in the act. "Are you stalking us? Plotting your revenge?" She shrugs her shoulders, her eyes watching the both of them intently.

John B tilts his head back, letting a dry laugh fly in the air. "Yeah. Why don't you just tell your daddy I blew the bilge on Druthers?"

"Sarah, you and me both know Topper started it first," Martha replies sharply, as she walks off to help John B place the scuba gear on their little ship.

"Good morning Martha, nice to see you too." She retorts sarcastically.

"Everything's good to go. Just toppin' off these tanks." John B grunts, dropping the bag into the gunwale.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Sarah continues, walking to the edge of the boat.

"Well, John B told me yesterday that he worked for your father, on Druthers, and I didn't believe him so.. here we are." Martha lies expertly. John B bites back a smirk as he starts to untie the ropes from the cleats.

"You didn't believe him?" Sarah pesters, sounding unconvinced.

"Yeah, it's been so long. Remember the old guy? The one that you had a fat crush on? Something Booker something, I forgot his name," she smirks knowingly, "I thought he still worked here." Sarah blushes in embarrassment as her eyes look over to John B —who seems to be equally as red.

"Well, you can tell Topper that he won the first round. I'll get him next time," he turns to face the girl in the sundress and starts to pull on the engine.

"So there's just going to be a reign of terror on this island now?"

"Wars have been started for less, Sarah Cameron."

"Damn, he pulled out the government name," Martha jokes, climbing up onto and sitting on the bow.

"Okay. Can we drop the whole Pogues versus Kooks thing? It is really stupid." Sarah rolls her eyes at Marty's joke.

"You know, it's easy to say when you're a Kook." John B leans towards Sarah. Their faces are too close for Martha's liking. John B breaks away, pushing off the yacht and allowing the HMS POGUE to drift off with the current.

Sarah deadpans, then salutes the finger.

➵ ➵ ➵

"YOU CALL THAT FLIRTING?" Marty questions after a few moments of calm silence.

"What? No, I wasn't flirting. I"—

—"Good. Because if you were," she turns her body to face his front, "you need some work."

"Oh cause you're such an expert." John B scoffs, rolling his eyes as he turns the steering wheel towards the docks. Pope, Kiara, and JJ were waiting to be picked up so they could check out what's in the Grady White.

"No, but I know how to flirt with women," she says plainly.

"You and J were made for each other, then." He mumbles, looking up at the rest of his friends as he turns the HMS POGUE perpendicular to the shoreline.

"What's up with me? McFly, are you spreading lies about me?" JJ sarcastically accuses, jumping onto the boat and making a beeline to where Martha was.

"Nothing, babe, how are you?" She smiles, taking his hand and pulling him to sit on the bow.

"Better now, M." He states, dramatically rolling back behind Marty and scooting upwards to have his legs on either side of her. He wraps his arms around her hips and rests his head on her shoulder.

"So? Did you get the gear?" Pope asks as he ties the rope to an available pillar, securing the boat to the wooden dock. Kiara greets the pair with a bright smile, hopeful and curious. Martha eyes her outfit, a brown two-piece. 'Damn.' She steps onto the deck, before sitting on the plastic gunwale.

"Yes, Martha was a big help," John B smiles a toothy grin towards the perched girl.

"Look at you, being devious." JJ tightens his hug, his voice deep in her eardrums; his breath wafting around her in a minty cloud.

She laughs, "ooh vocabulary," and sighs in content as her fingers voluntarily trace little swirly lines and shapes on his forearms.

"Come on Captain, let's go get our scuba on." He says, telling John B to get going.