𝐂.06

sparks

IT WASN'T LONG UNTIL THE FOUR POGUES AND ONE TOURON were back at the Château, getting themselves situated for a long time on the lake. Kiara already made the boys' sandwiches, so she decided to make peanut butter and jelly for Martha.

(She asked if Marty was allergic to anything beforehand, don't worry.)

It was okay, she didn't mind. She loves food and the fact that there's another girl to balance out the testosterone levels. She loves the boys, but to have a female friend is even better.

Marty explored the Château, she didn't get to fully analyze it last night during the party. It's cluttered, a little run down, but is very cozy and homey. Very nautical. She thinks, looking at all the fish and boat decorations.

John B walks into the living room, he was cleaning the house up for Marty, even though she told him not to. Cleaning up the house for guests is just something he's always been doing. Suddenly he grabs a picture frame that had fallen on the floor and puts it back onto the wall. But he doesn't leave, he just stares. Marty can see John B's eyes sulk, as he pouts at the picture.

"Who's that?" Marty says, cautiously.

"My dad. He- he disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know," Martha states, putting her hand on his bicep. He flinched at the feeling of contact but it soon disappeared after a few seconds.

"Of course my dad is the one who goes missing at sea. I mean at least he went out in style." John B chuckles darkly.

"Hey, don't say that. He could still be out there."

"I know, I know. It's just getting harder to believe with everyone saying the opposite."

"You can lever let go of hope." She says sternly as if her words are her motivation for something as well.

John B smiles at her, "thanks Marty, the boat leaves in five." And with that, he walks outside towards the dock.

A sudden chill that escaped its way into the warm house makes goosebumps form on her tan skin. She shivers as she looks for something, anything warm enough for her to wear.

She soon spots a grey cotton long sleeve shirt hanging on a barstool chair. She immediately grabs it and throws it on. 'Hopefully, John B doesn't care that I'm wearing this.' She smooths out the fabric, realizing that it's like a dress on her and that the sleeves were too big. She smiles, knowing she looks so cute, and walks out the back door.

➵ ➵ ➵

MEANWHILE, JJ AND POPE WENT OUTSIDE TO SEE if the boat was working well enough for the trip. Usually, the fishing trip lasted all day until dusk, so they checked the gas tanks and tidied it up a little considering someone was a guest.

"Hey JJ, are you okay man?" Pope says as he turns the anchor wheel, lifting the anchor from the murky lake waters.

JJ looks at him funny, eyebrows furrowing. "Uh, yeah. What do you mean by that?" He walks into the Captain's quarters, sitting down on his signature seat. He looked around for his red hat and to see if his long-sleeve tee was in that cabin.

"Well after Marty told you off, you didn't even bother to"— Pope's face draws to realization, eyebrows raising— "wait, do you like her?" He questions, rushing into the Captain's quarters with an excited smirk on his face. Like he was a little child waiting for their favorite toy on Christmas.

"What? No. I-I mean as a friend, we just met." JJ says, bending down to look in one of the cabinets to check that his secret stash is still there.

"Uh uh, so you totally do. Cause when you usually 'just meet' a girl," Pope says, putting bunny ears around JJ's own words, "you end up hooking up with her twenty minutes later."

JJ smirks as he sees his brown bag in the same place he put it last time. It was full of his weed JUULs and supplies for wrapping up blunts. He stands up, turning towards a cocky Pope before sighing. "No, Pope! I just like her as a friend okay? I don't like..."

His eyes catch a figure walking towards the HMS Pogue, he knows exactly who it is. 'Oh, you got to be fucking kidding me! How can I convince Pope that I don't like you when you look so good in my clothing!' He thinks, letting out a frustrated moan.

Ignoring Pope's chuckle, he walks his way out of the shade from the Captain's quarters into the burning hot deck. He sits on the edge of the boat, his feet dangling in the murky brown water below. He takes a puff from his vape as he stares at the brunette strutting down the dock, directly in his path. Through his sunglasses, his eyes travel up and down her body, her tan and smooth legs entice him the most —until he spots the very well-hidden limp.

He blows out the smoke in her direction, smiling at her as she becomes closer to him. "I was looking for that shirt earlier," he says, crossing his arms as if he was mad at her. He was mad, but not at her, at whoever had done something to her.

"Oh, this—" Martha looked down at her dress of a tee, her face grew with worry. 'Stupid, stupid girl.' "—This is yours? Do you want me to take it off?"

'Yes.'

"Nah, it's all good, baby McFly. It looks better on you than it does me. Come, hop on." He says, lifting up his hand for her to take.

She grabs his hand, feeling flames unravel goosebumps she never thought she had. It reminded her of how they met just less than twenty-four hours ago.

Heat burns their skin together —even though it was most likely from their sweaty palms—

molding flesh into one, never wanting to let go. Her face blushes a bright red, but she giggles trying to hide it. His face has his signature toothy grin painted on —but this time— he too, got rosy cheeks.

She slowly walks onto the deck, her feet burning from the sun-cooked surface but she doesn't care. All she cared about was the blond still holding her hand.

"McFly?" She spoke up, causing JJ to pull his hand away from her's.

"Wha-what?" He stutters, lifting up his hat and running the same hand through his hair.

"You called me McFly." She reminds him, laughing at his display of embarrassment.

"Yeah, you know. Marty McFly? From Back to the Future?" He questions, taking another puff.

Martha looks at him with the same puzzled look on her face. "Am— am I supposed to know who that is?"

JJ practically choked on the weed air from hearing that sentence. If he wasn't mad at her then, he definitely is now. "Oh, we are so watching it when we get back from this."