𝐂.01

the touron arrives

"MOM, CAN I GO TO A PARTY WITH NICKI?" Martha says to her mother, who is putting away food and supplies in the kitchen

Mr. Holland was out with Mr. Cameron discussing business opportunities he might find for himself and his wife. They can't just stay for the summer and not have a job. Mr. and Mrs. Holland were working class people, if they didn't have a job, they felt like they didn't have a purpose.

Chris Holland is the corporate manager of his own shipwright company. Very high-end yachts and boats for an assortment of individuals.

Lola Holland is a housewife for the most part. She does have a job as part time manager of her jewelry store back in Richmond, Virginia.

The Holland family has been coming to the Outer Banks for summer vacation ever since their honeymoon, but they stopped when Martha turned twelve because it was too much, but finally, after countless begging and planning, Martha is finally back home. 

Mr. Holland rents the summer home they were living in from Mr. Cameron, of course at a lower price with them being friends and all. The house is upscale like a mansion but it wasn't as expensive as the ones in Figure 8. They live on the very edge of Figure 8, barely on Tannyhill Plantation, and yet Martha is still considered a kook.

"A party? We just got here, how do you know about a party?" Martha stood in the hallway, she looks down at her phone nervously because she already accepted Nicki's invite.

"Nicki invited me over text. It's a post-school's over slash summer party, over by the beach." Lola always was protective of her little girl, always wanting to know where she was and who she was with. Also known as the perfect helicopter mom.

"Well, okay if Nicki's taking you then sure. I trust her." Lola smiles genuinely at her only daughter. She always wanted another child but there were difficulties with the birth of her second child.

May, Joseph Holland rest in peace.

Martha smiles as she runs up to hug her mother in a warm embrace. "Thank you so much!" Lola's arms wrapped around her hips engulfing her since there weren't many moments like this.

Martha pulls away and begins to walk to her room with a smirk on her face, she hasn't been to a party in ages but she feels knows it's gonna be a wild ride.

➵ ➵ ➵

MARTHA WALKS OUT OF HER FRONT DOOR WITH AN EXCITED EXPRESSION and anxious goosebumps coursing through her skin. She's dressed in a triangle black bikini top, with a mesh long sleeve tee and black daisy dukes. She didn't bother wearing any shoes because she just adores the beach and the sand. She lives and breathes for the salty ocean air.

"Marty! Hurry up!" Nicki laughs, calling from her old cherry-red Chevrolet. Martha runs to the car, hugging the piece of machinery before her best friend.

"Maraschino! I've missed you!" She smiles at Nicki's offended face, jumping down into the back seat.

"Four years apart and this is how you treat your best friend?! By hugging her car!" Nicki yells, shifting gears to drive.

"Nicolette, don't be a sourpuss. I've missed you too." Martha reaches over, hugging her shoulders.

"It's Nicki, first of all, and second, I missed you too." Nicki looks in the rearview mirror making eye contact with the greenish-brown kaleidoscope eyes she's been jealous of ever since she met Marty.

Marty stands up, ruffling Nicki's hair, and then throws herself in the front seat. "I still cannot believe the ol' man let you drive Maraschino!" Marty laughs.

"He didn't have to let me. It is mine." Nicki grins ear to ear.

"No fucking way!" Marty screams with joy. Nicki has been wanting this car ever since the sixth grade.

"Yes, fucking way! It was a GrAdUaTiOn gIfT," she laughs, mocking her father and his classy movements. Marty laughs along with her. Although they were kooks, it was tradition to make fun of esteemed family members.

"So where is this party and where did you hear about it?" Marty asks, considering they were getting farther and farther away from Figure 8.

"Parties at Johnny B's place are legendary, everybody knows and everybody goes."

"Johnny B?" Marty can't remember if she knew the guy. It's been so long since she's been back here.

"Yeah. You know, John B. John Booker Rutledge? One of the hottest pogies out here?" She looks at Marty who has confusion drawn all over her.

"Wow, I guess you really are too much of a kook to know." Nicki turns her head back on the road, knowing that line would get a rise out of her.

"I am not a kook!" Marty raises her voice. She hated being compared to those uptight obnoxious assholes.

"Okay, fine. You're a touron." 

Marty didn't answer back, she knew Nicki was right. And yet she didn't want to be known as a random touron, she wanted to be known as Marty Holland. Somebody special. She just closed her lips, biting the inside of her cheek to stop herself from getting defensive and ruining the night.

Finally, Nicki pulled up behind another expensive-looking car, and it looked like they just arrived a few minutes before Maraschino because it still had passengers. Both girls got out of the car but decided to walk separately around the car in front of them because there was barely enough space for Marty to squeeze through.

Marty could only see a kooky couple, both with dirty blonde hair and complementary outfits. As she got closer, she realized who the girl was.

Sarah Cameron.