𝐂.37

a perfect day to die in kooklandia

"I'M SO GLAD THAT THEY'RE STILL DOING THIS," Kiara says, as she leads the group of three pogues and one touron into the park for the annual movie picnic the town holds before Midsummer

"I'M SO GLAD THAT THEY'RE STILL DOING THIS," Kiara says, as she leads the group of three pogues and one touron into the park for the annual movie picnic the town holds before Midsummer. "Keep calm. Carry on. Back to OBX life."

She holds her bag over her shoulder, sauntering over to a distinct spot of free-reign grass she's had her eyes on for a while. Pope is behind her, carrying a snack bag and a lawn chair. Martha is to the right of him, a bit behind as she waits for JJ, carrying an identical metal chair. JJ's holding the drinks and blanket bag, his hand reaching behind him to feel his gun through the thin material of his backpack.

"Welcome to the summer movie series," a muffled announcement can be heard, apparently the water damage in the speakers is a hefty one to pay off. Voices parting off in different directions, children's laughter and yells of excitement in the air, parents finally settling down in their lawn chairs and alcoholic beverage in hand. A perfect afternoon.

"You know? Aren't you guys glad I made you come?" Kiara questions, smiling to herself as she sets down her bag.

"Ecstatic," Pope deadpans, clearing his throat.

"Martha's chest was pretty comfy, I'll be honest," JJ adds, earning a playful smack from Marty. "What? They were!"

"Yes, Kie. This is nice, thank you for the invite," Martha replies through her teeth, shaking her head at her boyfriend before smiling at the girl. She settles down her lawn chair, before pulling the blanket from JJ's bag and laying it out on the cool grass.

"We're out of the green zone, man," Pope mumbles, lowly enough for only JJ and Marty could hear.

"Dude, tranquilo, okay?" JJ harshly whispers back.

"We're in the middle of Kooklandia. This is the last place I wanted to be," Pope mumbles again, his anxiety building more and more.

"Shut up, Pope," JJ bites back, trying to calm down his best friend.

"I'm gonna get some water and ice. Anyone wanna come with?" Kiara asks, as she finally puts her phone into her back pocket. There wasn't any service but she felt secure with it in her shorts.

"Yeah! I'll come with you, one sec," Marty agrees, standing up from her spot on the blanket and reaching for some money and some of her own anxiety gummies she put in her Tommy Bahama knapsack before they left.

"J, I'm going with Kie to the bar," Marty announces, gaining JJ's attention. She holds out her hand, dropping her tiny plastic bag filled with different colored gummies. "Give him some of these, just two will do. They're CBD." She commands, kissing him on the cheek as she leaves to catch up with Kiara.

"G-gotcha!" JJ croaks, his face hot and flustered, waving her goodbye. The display of affection is nice, something he's not used to.

Marty reaches Kiara a few feet ahead, walking up together to the vendor. "Sorry, I had to give Pope something."