𝐂.41

guardian angel saved half of your face

TW: MENTIONS OF PHYSICAL ASSAULT // CHILD ABUSE, BLOOD && GORE

VIEWERS' DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

"YOU'RE LIKE A LITTLE ROCK IN MY SHOE. I shake my foot, I think I've gotten it out," Peterkin shuts the door behind her as she waltzes to her desk, dropping the file with a harsh slap. Her eyes lock with JJ's, his thumping knee doesn't go unnoticed by the experienced detective. "Then dang, there it is again."

"Maybe watch where you're steppin'," he says, tilting his chair back as his hands rest behind his head. His eyes cascade over to the window, the little cracks of the blinds not giving him enough view of who's out there. I hope baby McFly's alright.

"That little rock on the back of my heel makes me want to crush it," Sheriff spits, her voice coarse and her eyes a bit glossy as if she's been crying. Which she has, especially after interviewing Martha Holland. She clears her throat, sitting down in her chair as she opens his hefty file.

"Unlawful discharge of a firearm," she reads, her eyes flickering up to the blond teenager. He simply crosses his arms and displays the best smug face she could ever ask for. "Trespass on protected habitat. Felony destruction of property. All in the last two weeks. You're on a roll, chief."

"If you think I'm gonna rat anybody out, you got the wrong idea," JJ speaks up, tired of this shit. He bites his bottom lip, hoping that if he tears it open again Martha can fix it like she did last night.

"I know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but I want you to come with me to uncharted territory," Peterkin says, upping the ancy a little bit. Giving him an offer he can't refuse.

He looks up at her, suspicious of what she has to say.

"The future. How you gonna feel six months from now, sittin' in juvenile prison in Wadesboro? While your girlfriend, if y'all even last that long, is being ripped to shreds by the media because she was brave enough to say something about Rafe Cameron's vile behavior?"

JJ looks down, shifting in his seat as his worries take over. "Is she okay?"

She smiles shortly at him, appreciating his concern. "Yes, she's with her family."

JJ nods, his eyes —once again— flickering to the windows. He wants to see her. He needs to see her again. 

Peterkin sighs, collecting a few sheets of paper with photos on them. She displays them out in front of JJ. "You know these two?" Mugshots of the guys who ransacked John B's house in front of him.

He hesitates to say anything, but she can tell he wants to. So, she pestered him for more, "my question was, do you know these two?" She walks around her desk, pointing down at the pieces of paper, her stare deadly.