Stolen Kisses and Spy Missions

Cassiopeia Nott

Cassiopeia Nott

"Tori," I started slowly. "What are you doing with that?" And even though I tried to hide it, the anger was evident in my voice. How does she have that? Was she going through my things? Has she read it yet?

"I-I was looking for a spare quill. I'm so sorry."

"Give me that." I snatched the list out of her hands and folded it into my pocket. "Did you read it?" 

"Yes, I'm so sorry. Once I had started, I couldn't stop." She stuttered.

"It's a bit late for that." 

"I'm sorry. So, so sorry. Please don't be mad." She continued to ramble.

Harry and I just made things official and I've already gotten us caught. I sat down on my bed and dropped my head into my hands. The happiness from minutes before had flooded out of me and I was left with regret. I should have hidden the list better. I shouldn't have forgot it was in there.

Astoria sat down beside me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I won't tell anyone, you know? I mean, I don't understand, but I would never rat you out."

I lifted my head to face her. "Thank you." I said. It was quiet a moment before I continued. "What do you mean you don't understand?"

"It's just-Well, you have everything. Money for anything you could ever need, a loving brother, boys lining up for the chance to even talk to you, yet you risk it all for the one thing you can't have. Your father, your brother, your friends even, they'd all be furious if they found out. Why take that chance? And for just sex?"

"It's not just sex anymore, it's-" I sighed, not really knowing how this conversation was going to go. I didn't plan on ever having it. "I guess, sometimes the things we can't have, are the things we want most. And then when we have them, we find out it wasn't really a want at all. It was more of a need. An empty space in our heart that needed to be filled and could only be filled by the one thing we couldn't have." I paused another moment. "Does that make sense?"

"Not really, but I see where you're coming from."

"You really promise not to tell anyone?"

"Not a soul." She gave my hand a squeeze. "It's not my secret to give away."

"Thank you."

"Cassie!" I could hear a voice call from down the hall. Athena appeared in the doorway, out of breath. She had clearly run here from the astronomy tower. Shit, I was supposed to get the wagon and bring it up there. "I came to make sure you were alright. You've been gone a while." She said through heavy breaths.

"I'm sorry." I apologized. "I was-"

"She was helping me." Astoria said quickly. "She found me in the common room. I was having some intense cramps. Cassie was just making sure I got back to the dorm ok."