Home For The Holidays

Harry

Harry

"Unbreakable vow." Ron repeated. "You're sure that's what Snape said?"

"Positive. Why?"

"Well, it's just you can't break an unbreakable vow." He said in a sort of awe.

"I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough." After Cassie had to make the vow of course. Before she explained it, I didn't really get why you couldn't just break it. I'll never have to wonder that again now that I know the girl I'm falling in love with could die at any given second just for saying the wrong thing.

"Oh, bloody hell." Ron muttered. I followed his distressed gaze to the door. Lavender had exhaled a breath on the window and was tracing a heart and words into it. Ron let out a uneasy sound as he forced a smile.

I began to fiddle with the strap of the seat I was sitting on to avoid any awkward gazes from him or Lavender. When I looked back at the glass, "R+L" had been written on. Lavender blew Ron a dramatic kiss before she finally walked away from our compartment.  

"Lovely." I complimented.

Ron leaned an uncomfortable amount forward. "All she wants to do is is snog me. My lips are getting chapped. Look!"

I leaned back into my seat as far as I could. "I'll take your word for it."

Ron fell back with a shake of his head. His eyes fell down to my hand where I clutched a small black box. "What's that?" He asked. Before I could lie, he took the box from me.

He grinned up at me as he saw the contents inside. "For your girlfriend?"

"Yes. And it's meant for her eyes, not yours." I took the box back from him and snapped it shut. 

"It's stunning. I bet she'll love it." He said with a nod before looking towards the door at a figure moving by. Hermione paused at the compartment door. Her smile dropped at the sight of Lavender's drawing. 

Ron's face also fell as she moved on from our compartment. I can't say I blame her. She probably thinks Ron participated in the words still covering the window. 

"Ron?" I asked. "What happens to you? What happens when you break an unbreakable vow?" Of course Cassie already told me. I just want to be sure. It doesn't really seem real. Maybe hearing someone else confirm it will help?

"You die."

My head fell back against the seat with a defeated sigh. "Brilliant."

~

Cassiopeia Nott

Theo drummed his fingers on the compartment table in front of us. He looked between Draco, Athena, and I expectingly, waiting for someone to break the silence.  Eventually, he sighed. "You could cut the tension in here with a butter knife." He observed. "What's going on?"