Suitors

Cassiopeia Nott

Cassiopeia Nott

"They are going to kill us." Athena whisper shouted. We walked through the manor halls with our arms linked towards the parlor where Portia had wanted to talk to us. "It's the only reasonable explanation."

"How do you think they'll do it?" I asked only half jokingly. "Quick spell? Slow torture?"

Athena gulped. "Probably the latter."

"Theo and Draco will have to wheel our bodies away in the wagon."

"They better not be the ones in charge of our outfits. I want to look good in my casket."

"You'd look good in a paper sack." I complimented with a playful eyeroll. 

"Then I guess I don't have much to worry about. I can die knowing I'll still looking stunning.

We turned the corner into the parlor. Narcissa and Portia both sat on dark green settes. Across from them, a black leather couch awaited Athena and I. We nodded our greetings and sat down. A house elf, I hadn't noticed before, poured a steaming green liquid into two tea cups, before retreating behind the marble parlor bar.

Narcissa took a sip from a teacup she had already been drinking from. "So, girls," She started, setting the teacup on a small plate. "As you know The Annual Christmas Ball is tomorrow, I assume you haven't any dresses, yet?"

"No, ma'am. We were going to go look for some tomorrow morning." I answered. Portia let out a dissatisfied sigh. Narcissa glanced towards her, silently begging her to hold her tongue. 

"Very well. Of course clothes are always a lovely conversation topic, but it's not why we asked you here." She continued. "You both are coming of age next year and it's time to start thinking about the future."

Athena and I shared a nervous glance. So far, I'm not liking where this is heading. And how quick it's heading there.

Portia cleared her throat. "What Narcissa is trying to say is that you two need to start thinking of your financial futures. Some of the Wizarding World's most wealthy families will be in attendance, along with kids your age. You should begin acquainting yourselves with them and securing your wealth as soon as possible."

Athena narrowed her at eyes at her mother. "You mean to say we're supposed to be looking for suitors?"

Portia set a reassuring hand on her daughter's knee and smiled. "I don't care about gender, honey."

"Thank you, I think. But that's not really what concerns me about this."

Portia looked taken back. "Then what does?"

"We're sixteen." I blurted out in a kind of shock, bringing all the eyes onto me. "Isn't it rather early to be thinking of marriage?"

"Not at all." Narcissa answered. She smiled, recalling some old memory. "I was sixteen when I met Lucius and eighteen when we married. It's natural for purebloods, such as yourselves, to be wed young."