Prologue

junie pov

i am turned around at my desk looking back at my best friend in the whole wide world and we are talking about our playdate after school but we get interrupted by ms. morrulia who slithers into the classroom, captivating our attention with the peculiar clipboard in her hand.

the whole class stares in awe, mumbles coming from all around me.

"ms.morrulia?", a student in the back asks.

"i will tell you all about the special project we have planned today, don't you worry, youngin" she says with a sweet smile.

i love ms. morrulia. she is the nicest teacher i have ever had for sure. of course i am only in grade three, but still. last year i had mr. goldrey and he was super mean. corelda, my best friend in the whole wide world, and i would always walk into class together and he would give us the stink eye and tell us to sit down with a chilling tone. i could go on and on about him, but ms. morrulia is starting to talk again.

"okay class, as you know now, we will be starting a project today! you will each get a partner of your choice-"

"yes!" i hear a voice behind me whisper

everyone starts eyeing their friends and i hear corelda say "hey junie, you and me right?" 

"always", i say

"don't get too exited! please take care in choosing a partner who will work well with you so you can do well. if you can not find someone to pair up with, just come to my desk and i will find you someone"

"what are we gonna do?" i ask ms.morrulia.

"each group will pick a different planet to study. i will arrange days and times with each of your parents where i can take you to your planets of choice and choose specimens to observe"

ms. moruilia continues to lecture us on space travel safety and listening to instructions while studying subjects blah, blah, blah. i zone out to start thinking about the planet corelda and i will choose.

---------------------

"have you ever been off-world?" i ask corelda as i eat my sandwich at recess.

"yeah, we went to mars once to see my grandma."

mars is basically where all the old people go to retire. there are lots of pickleball courts there for them to play on. of course corelda's grandma has tentacles so she has quite the advantage.

"i have never been off-world", i say.

"really? not even to mars?" she inquires.

"not even to mars", i sigh. 

I was supPOSED to go to jupiter this solstice but it was cancelled because of a storm believe it or not. i am still devastated because that place has huge towering cities and a long history. but even more than jupiter, i want to go to earth. i have obsessively read about earth ever since i can remember. people there are so... simple-minded you could say. 

"so, i was thinking earth." i say after a long pause in our conversation.

"yes! i love humans, they are so fiery, like little bugs crawling around attacking eachother.

"very true" i chuckle.

mine and corelda's parents talk to ms.morrulia and we are going to go to earth tomorrow! we will be the first group to go to our planet and i can't wait.

~earth~

y/n pov

"mmmm" i say as the scent of fresh bacon invades my senses while i wake up for school. i check my phone for the time and it's only 6:15am so i have time to check instagram before heading downstairs. I have a billie eilish fan account so thats what i mean when i say instagram. my main account is basically deactivated at this point because i never use it. so i scroll through my feed, checking my favorite accounts for their posts and billie for hers of course. not much to see, so i get up to take a shower.

"come downstairs please, y/n" i hear my mom yell.

"almost there" i reply.

i walk downstairs for my breakfast. thanks, mom by the way. she gives me a kiss on the cheek and goes back into her office to work. i have like no friends at school, but its not bad. i am not bullied or anything, just not paid attention to. i guess that is why i dont mind school as much as some other kids because i dont deal with much drama. i just go and greet some acquaintances, learn some stuff, and go home. little did i know, today would be different.

---------------------------

"1568" i say after my english teacher asks a question about history.

i don't know why we are always learning history in english class, but it's cool. it is interesting to discuss social issues at different times in the world and it is a lot more interesting than my actual history class. 

we are excused and i am free for the rest of the day! i walk straight to a nearby gas station for a slushie and sit on a bench to people-watch and check my phone for massages. i am laughing at something an online friend said when my slushie suddenly feels a lot lighter.

"what?" i say, turning my head to look at my hand. my face goes white. my slushie is floating above the cup in my hand, and soon, the cup starts pulling itself up aswell. I let go, not wanting to go up with it and run. 

my feet beat on the ground hard and i am losing my breath in fear. and then, that's it. the ground is no longer reachable and i am floating higher and higher. my anxiety is boiling over and i am screaming and crying as i am lifted into the air and i look up in horror to see what is pulling me up.

billies pov

i wake up to a loud ass alarm that i set for 6 fucking 15 in the morning because i have been trying to make myself be a morning person these days. i grumble and roll out of bed, lying on the floor for a few minutes until the carpet starts to burn marks in my cheek. i slowly bring myself off the ground and mosey out of my room, adjusting my eyes. i have a full press day today so i get up and get ready to go.

as i am applying my facial creams ect., i hear my mom saying it's time to go.

"coming!" i yell back and hop into the car.

------------------------------

"so how did you and finneas meet?" the interviewer asks me.

bruh. these people are really fucking dumb sometimes. but it is okay because i love to see the fans waiting outside.

"hey billie? are you in there?" he says condescendingly.

i brush it off and explain that finneas is my brother and we didnt meet, we just grew up together. 

"what is it like being homeschooled?"

damn this guy is really, really dumb. i just say my scripted response for his shitty questions and i am on my way to the next studio. we step outside, only having to walk one door over to get to the other studio as my chains hit my face.

"what?" i say looking down at them. my sunglasses fly off my face and i get really worried. my security guards run to grab them, taking their attention off me long enough for me to float into the sky. as i am pulled upwards, the fans are freaking out and i make eye contact with my mom, and at that, i pass out due to my intense fear of heights. the last thing i hear is my mom screaming my name.

a/n: hey! this is my first story ever so i don't really know what i am doing but bare with me and thanks for reading! This is mainly just an intro to the characters and a bit of backstory this chapter.