Chapter 1

"Oof!"  Merry accidentally ran over my stomach, trying to chase Pippin. I smiled and laughed, watching Pippin get tackled to the ground. Sam was still babbling about Rose. Frodo had his head stuck in a book, like always;  "Get back here, Pip!"  Screamed Merry. Pippin was munching on the carrot he stole from Merry. It was just a normal day in the Shire. The sky was as clear as a crystal, and the sun made it warm out. The wind blew my long, curly, red hair in one direction; the light bounced off of my green eyes, which brought out my pale skin. I lied there, still thinknig about the one I've loved.

"Aren't you, Rayne?"  I snapped my head to to see everyone looking at me, waiting for an answer. I curiously asked,  "What?"  Sam repeated himself,  "You're of dating age, aren't you, Rayne?"  I thought for a moment and replied,  "Why, yes. I'm 18. I've been dating age for 3 years now."  Sam smiled and nudged at Merry as he spoke,  "Well, where's the lucky guy?"  Merry snarled his nose up in disgust and yelled,  "She'll never court any hobbit or elf or human or dwarf or... or ANYTHING for that matter! I won't allow it. She's MY half-sister, and I will protect her."  Merry smiled to himself, quite pleased with his speech. Frodo lifted his head from his book and commented,  "I believe she'll bring a nice guy home soon."  Frodo smiled at me and continued reading; he knew my secret. He knew I was fond of Peregrin Took.

Pip sat beside me and handed me a carrot; he knew I didn''t eat meat. Only fruits, vegetables, bread.. Things like that. Just no meat. I smiled and took the carrot from him. He spoke,  "You'll be at Biblo's part, right?"  I chuckled and nodded,  "Why wouldn't I be? It's his 111th birthday!"  Pip nodded and put his arm around me. I think he saw me blush, because he smiled a little.

"Biblo's party is in a month, Rayne. You'll have a new dress by then, right?"  Frodo asked me. I was inside his house; we were both alone. I answered,  "Yes. But for now, I'm not worried about it."  Frodo smiled pitifully and sighed; he looked at me and spoke,  "I'm sure Pip will realize soon."  I shook my head, smiling, and whispered,  "It;s been 8 years, Frodo. 8 long years, he hasn't noticed for 8 years. He'd better realize soon or else I'll be forced to tell him myself."  Frodo laughed and said,  "I'm sure it would be easier for you to just tell him. You know Pippin: can't take a hint. But he would make a good one for you."  I stood up and stretched;  "I'm afraid it's getting late, Frodo. I bid you farewell."  Frodo chuckled and joked,  "Talk like a normal Hobbit."  I reasoned back with him,  "I'm not just a Hobbit, Mr. Baggins. I'm half elf as well."  I opened and shut the door. I slowly walked to my home, watching all the children go inside. As the sun set, I got closer and closer to my home.

"Rayne! Rayne! Hold on a minute!"  I knew that cute accent from anywhere; I turned to see Pip holding a box, running towards me. He bumped into me, almost causing me to fall over. I laughed at his clumsiness and asked,  "What do you need, Pippin?"  He set the box down and stated,  "I heard you were looking for a new dress."  I raised an eyebrow and smirked,  "Yeah. So, what?"  Pip smiled and spoke,  "Well, you've gotten me out of a lot of trouble, and I thought I'd pay you back. I bought you four dresses from the Elven Kingdoms." 

I felt blood rush to my face, making me blush as he continued,  "I picked them out just for you. I hope you like them. I have to go now; Merry wanted me to do something. Goodnight, Rayne."  Pippin hugged me and ran off, leaving me speechless.

What a good friend. Doing nice things for me and.. stuff. I'll have to do something for him soon. I really hope these dresses are pretty. I hope they didn't cost much.. I hope he didn't spend too much on these dresses. They're from the Elven Kingdom, they must cost a fourtune!

I walked inside my house with the box and set it on a table. I took a quick bath and places the box on my bed; I took each one out, slowly and carefully. The first one was dark green, long, and a little tight. It scooped down my chest, where white ruffles popped out. I smiled and put it aside, pullig out the next one. It was a light blue, like the sky. White designs beautifully swirled around the dress made the blue stand out. It came up to my knees and also had long sleeves. The next dress was black; it came right at my knees and was made of lace. The only things the lace showed was my arms, and part of my upper chest and back. The last dress was white; it also came righ at my knees. It was lace as well, but the only thing the lace showed were my arms. I smiled, knowing this was my favorite one. I hung them all up on my wall and slid into my nightclothes. I smiled, thinknig about Pip. Such a doll.. such a shame he's not mine.