Chapter 27

Pippin's P.OV.

I listened to Merry's continuous babbling for what seemed like hours. He babbled about fun pranks we could do when we get very old, like Bilbo, and how we could get away with them. He could go on for hours about the most random things; I sighed and stood to my feet. I spoke,  "I think I'll be going to bed."  Merry slightly frowned and spoke,  "Oh.. well, if you can't sleep, Sam gave you those herbs."  I nodded and walked away to my room. Merry and I decided that sharing a hobbit hole would be good for me. Often, I would stay in my room, or walk alone somewhere far away. i lied there in my bed, staring at that picture. The same picture I've looked at for the years she's been gone. It somehow gave me hope that she'd come back eventually.

Sometimes, robbers would be found around the outskirts of The Shire, around Farmer Maggot's field, and sometimes IN The Shire. On many accounts, people have been badly beaten, stabbed, and on few occasions, were found nearly dead. There aren't that many around, now that we've taken care of it, but they're still out there sometimes. Sam has had three children, thankfully he stopped.It's chaotic enough with that second one running around his house. That little girl can put a grown man in his place quickly! Bossy little girl.. Adorable though.

As the sun peeked from my window, I stood and stretched. I've been writing a little song lately; it was just something that popped into my head. I would occasionally go to Rayne's old house and mess with her piano; I would have to leave, however, due to the flooding memories that always managed to bring tears to my eyes. I know it was my fault for leaving her, but it's something that I felt had to be done.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apples. Merry had his pipe in his mouth and was looking at a book. He spoke with the pipe still in between his lips,  "Did you sleep, Pippin?"  I took a bite in the apple and chuckled,  "No."  I sat beside him. He put his book face-down on the table and held the pipe in one hand and pointed it to me while speaking,  "I told you that Sam dropped some more herbs by no more than a week ago. You'll die of lack of sleep."  He stuck the pipe back in his mouth and looked up at me, slightly laughing. I chuckled and finished off the apple.  "I'm going on a walk,"  I announced.  "Take your sword with you, Pip. There are still mean people out there."

I attached my blade to my belt and put a knife in my pocket and walked out of the house. I shuffled down the winding roads of The Shire and slid into the woody area beside Maggot's field. I slid into my thoughts, aimlessly walking through out the woods. I heard crunching and twigs snapping and thought nothing of it; perhaps an animal. I shrugged and continued my journey to nowhere. I heard mumbling and looked in the direction. My heart raced because, no lie, I was scared. I ran and hid behind a tree and leaped to the next one. I continued to leap from tree to tree until I was closer to the sound.  "What do you have in your bag, little Hobbit girl?"  A deep voice grumbled.

I frowned and slowly inched my eyes away from the tree to see what was going on. A girl with red, curly hair was lying on the ground. Her pony was tied to a tree; her hair was in her face and covered her shoulders. The man kicked her, causing her to flip over; allowing the hair to fly from her face and letting me see her face. I gasped at the appearance, but quickly covered my mouth and flung myself behind the tree. Different emotions settled in my brain, making me feel different things. I turned and looked back at the size of the man and sighed; I knew I wouldn't be able to defeat him, but he's hurting Rayne. I shook my head and said a prayer; I handled the blade in my hands and jumped out from behind the tree. Rayne's eyes widened as she looked over to me; the man smiled and inched his way over saying,  "Look what we have here; another little Hobbit! Ha! Worthless, Hobbits are. Ain't worth the space they occupy! I can take care of that rather quickly."

He quickly flung his sword at me, but I countered it with mine. We went back and forth, trading blows until I saw Rayne crawl over to her bow. I paid no attention to her and continued to defend myself from the man's sword. The arrow she shot went into his back, however, he didn't flinch. He pushed me to the ground and ran over to Rayne, slapping her and throwing her bow farther away. I stood quickly and ran into him with my blade. I took off an ear of the man, but he only screamed and punched my mouth. The taste of blood caused me to spit; I stumbled to my feet anf grabbed my sword. As I drug myself over to the man, Rayne starting swinging at him, most of the hits connecting. He kicked her and made her fall and scream; he turned to my and quickly slammed my blade to the ground. He blindly grabbed his dagger as I was swiping at him and he stuck it in my leg. I cried in pain and fell to the ground.

He laughed and walked over to Rayne and grabbed his sword. He lifted it up in the air and spoke,  "This has gone on for far too long."  I jumped to my feet, snatching my blade from the ground, and sprinted towards him, holding my blade outwards. He cried in pain and fell to the ground. My heavy breathing continued as I jabbed my sword into his gut, pulled it out, and repeated. The man died not too long afterwards. I fell to the ground. Rayne whispered,  "Pippin? Pip?"  She was now hovering over me; I heard her cry and barely felt her tears on my face. I heard her whisper,  "Pippin, everything will be okay, I promise. I promise.. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry."  She continued to sob; my vision grew blurry and my sense of hearing faded into nothing.