Chapter 15

I woke up with swollen eyes and a pained back. I immediately remembered everything that happened to me last night. I stood quickly and took a bath, trying to remove the redness from my face and to get rid of the swollen areas near my eyes. I dried off and grabbed some black pants; they were loose and very thin. I buttoned a white shirt over my body and tucked it into the pants. I grabbed an old, black hat I've had for a few years and stuck it over my long, curly hair. I applied a little bit of make up to hide the puffiness and redness from my face. I hate being pale just for that reason. I ran out of the bathroom and grabbed my back pack. I shoved a few apples and a few dresses in the bag. I grabbed my arrows and put them in the side pouch. I snatched my bow from it's stand and packed a few knives in my pockets and bag.

The door opened, then shut again. I heard a bunch of footsteps walking through the house. I looked up to see Merry, Frodo, and Sam holding up Pippin. I felt tears about to spring to my eyes;  Merry laughed and spoke,  "Look at who we found passed out at the bar this morning!"  I frowned and commanded,  "Get him away from me."  The looks I was given by the group... 

"What's going on?"  Sam asked, super concerned. I shook my head and whispered,  "We got into a little fight last night."  Merry hit his forehead, dropping Pippin's upper body and stated,  "I was supposed to come back over last night!"  Pippin was grunting, but still looked asleep. I spoke,  "I'm on my way to an old friends house. I need to get out of here."  "But don't you want to work things out with Pip?"  Frodo asked.  I looked him in the eyes and spoke,  "I'm hoping something can be arranged; but for now, I need to get away."  Sam nodded and spoke,  "I wish you the best of luck. Just come back soon."  I nodded and hugged each one of them before walking out of the house.

"Rayne!"  I looked behind me to see Merry. I stopped in my tracks and answered,  "Yes, brother?"  He hugged me and whispered,  "I love you. Be safe."  I smiled and hugged him back. He pulled back and asked,  "What do you want me to tell Pippin when he wakes up?"  I sighed and replied,  "Tell him to look under his pillow. I must go now; I can't be here right now."  I hugged him one last time before climbing onto a horse.

Pippin's P.O.V.

"What the hell, Pippin?"  I looked up in a drunken stupor to see Merry looking down at me. My head throbbed as I picked myself up from the ground. I asked,  "What? What do you mean?"  Merry's face was red; he yelled,  "You hurt my sister! What did you do?"  Sam and Frodo stood in the corner, just watching. A flood of memories swam through my brain. I whispered,  "I couldn't keep it in anymore, Merry."  I put my head in my hands, realizing how terribly I handled the situation. I spoke,  "I haven't been talking to her for a while. I didn't know what to talk about, and I had no energy to speak. We've been seperating and I.. I couldn't just hold it in. I didn't know how to bring it up- and, and I just..." 

Merry pulled me by my shirt and pinned me to a wall.  "I swore to her that I wouldn't let any man hurt her, but it seems as though you're not even a man! Why'd you do it, Peregrin Took?"  I pushed him away from me and secluded myself in a corner;  Merry spat,  "I'll come back when you've got you're story straight. Oh, and by the way, she left you a letter under your pillow."  He walked out, the others following behind him. As the door shut, I hit the ground; I didn't care about looking tough, the girl I loved walked out. I never thought she'd do this.

Dear Pip,

     The way you spoke hurt me, and being around you hurt me as well. This isn't my last goodbye to you, I'll be back when I get my mind settled. By doing this, hopefully you'll have your act put together. I don't know when I'll be back. While I'm gone, I do want you to know that I still love you. When I come back, I want to know if we're going to fix this mess or crush our relationship the way you crushed my heart.

                                                               Love, Corinthian Rayne Soundgarden

My tears stained the paper; my hands shook as I placed the letter back in its envelope. I stuck it in my drawer. I lied on the floor in silence, thinking about what I had said the other night. I was a jerk, and I knew that at the time, but I forgot that she was my lover, not just another person. I looked up as the door swung wide open.  "Tell me everything that happened."

I told Merry what all happened that night; what all caused Rayne to leave. After repeating what happened, I couldn't blame her for leaving.  "She looked torn this morning. I can't believe you-out of all people-would hurt my sister. After all we've been through, Pip!"  I lowered my head in shame, letting the tears fall. I whispered,  "I should've told her how I felt."  Merry came closer to me and asked,  "How do you feel?"

"I feel like I don't deserve such a woman like her. I feel like she's underestimating what she's capable of, in relationships and men in general. I feel like she shouldn't come back. She deserves better than this. What do I have to offer her? I'm not like any other guy, Merry. I have nothing; especially without her."  Merry nodded and spoke,  "Yeah, especially with her gone now."  I looked out of the window as he spoke,  "Pippin, you're still very close to me, but what you did to Rayne was ridiculous. Just know that when she comes back, I want her to be given a royal apology. It's less than she deserves."  I nodded in agreement.