Chapter 12

I woke up, hours later, to hear screaming;  "So God help me, if it's still dark out-"  I stopped myself from talking and saw Pippin, lying on the floor, holding an orb. I grabbed it and threw it before I dropped to the ground.  Gandalf raised himself up and threw a blanket over the orb.  "Fool of a Took!"  He yelled at Pippin. Merry was hovering over him, until Gandalf threw him to the side. I ran out of the room, not wanting to see or hear anything. I was too scared for him. Aragorn followed me and spoke,  "Are you alright?"  I never answered; he threw an arm around me and side hugged me before speaking,  "I believe he'll be okay. Don't worry."

"A fool, but an honest fool he remains,"  Gandalf spoke. We walked through a town for a few minutes;  "Why did you look? Why do you always have to look?"  Merry scolded Pip. I frowned as Pippin tried to defend himself from my brother. Merry stormed ahead of us and we followed, holding hands. Gandalf put Pip on the horse. Merry gave him something to smoke for the three-day ride. I asked,  "Where is it we're going?"  Gandalf spoke,  "Pippin and I are going to Minis Tirith. You, however, shall remain here with your brother."  I and Pippin frowned,  "What do you mean I'm not going?"  Gandalf spoke,  "You'll be safer here with your brother and Legolas. They shall keep an eye on you while we are gone."  I furrowed my brows as Gandalf jumped on the horse. Pippin looked at Gandalf and asked,  "But we'll all see each other soon, won't we?"  He looked down to Merry and I as Gandalf replied,  "I don't know; Run, Shadowfax. Show us the meaning of haste."  Aragorn chased Merry up a ladder and to the watch tower.

I sat in my room and pulled out the cape Pippin gave me before I left the first night of the journey. I felt my shoulder being touched by a hand. I looked up to see Merry;  "I'll miss him too,"  he whispered. I frowned as he pulled me in for a hug. I whispered,  "I love you, Merry." 

Precisely three week later, we, and a group of men, marched to The Black Gate. Merry looked at me and whispered,  "If we make it out alive, I want you to know that you've always been my favorite sister."  I laughed at him and spoke,  "I'm your only sister, Merry!"  He smiled and nodded. We were soon separated by marching men. I rode my own horse to the side of many men and looked around; I couldn't find Gimli, Legolas, Merry, Aragorn, Pippin, or Gandalf. I never saw Pip or Gandalf since they left a few weeks ago. I rode to the front, finally finding Legolas.

"Are you ready?"  He asked me. I sighed and spoke,  "As ready as I'll ever be."  He patted my shoulder and advised,  "Get your arrows ready; we'll be attacking shortly."  He rode over to Aragorn, who was screaming about a Black Lord. Moments later, the gate slowly squeaked open. We began to march fowards a little; Aragorn began to give a speech to the men about courage.  "It is not this day!"  He screamed,  "This day we fight!"  Swords were drawn quickly as Orcs marched in our direction. A tear slid down my cheek as I thought of dying; never seeing Pip again. His smile, flashing to me as I walk by; or his arms around me.. It'll all be gone. I wiped my tears away and swore to myself that I'd be brave for him.  "I will survive; I won't die,"  I repeated that to myself a few times to strengthen myself.

I looked around myself; there we were, circled by Orcs.  Aragorn turned back to Gandalf and whispered,  "For Frodo."  He ran into the pile of Orcs;  screaming and the sound of feet filled the air. I grabbed and arrow and began shooting at Orcs, making them fall. I looped around a few times, just killing Orcs until I ran out of arrows. I let my bow hang on my back as I drew out a sword of my own. I threw myself into a group of Orcs, slashing and cutting away. I slammed my shield in one's face before slicing it's head off. Eagles began to fly in the sky and fight as well.

Hour after hour, we were still fighting. Many wounded; more dead. They eye looked away from us and at something else. An Orc kicked me down; as I fell, it took it's sword and aimed for my face. I rolled away quickly, avoiding the pointy object. Suddenly, a sharp pain lingered in my lower back area. Another pain hit my shoulder blade. I lied there on the ground, crying in pain. I was screaming profanities, unil I noticed all the Orcs running. I couldn't see what was going on, but the ground was rumbling and Orcs were running. I was hidden behind one of the dead elephants the Orcs used. I heard cheering coming from the remaining men. 

I heard Aragorn talking to Legolas and Gimli; I wanted to call out for them, but I didn't have enough energy. As the blood drained from my body, my heart and energy did too. I stared at the ground, making no movements or sounds. I grew dizzier as time went by, and I had already thrown up twice. My whole body began to ache as I whispered,  "P-Pip? Merry?"  My voice cracked a few times; more tears ran down my face and into the soil. Bright lights shone in my face; the lights took over and I became numb, deaf, and blind. All my senses had left my body.