Chapter 17

Pippin's P.O.V.

"Rayne?"  I quietly whispered; she slowly stood from her seat and stood as still as a statue. Her body was outlined by the light shining through the window. We stood there in silence; both still, both quiet. I felt my heart violently shake in my chest as her whole body shook and collapsed to the ground. I ran over to her and put my arms around her body. She set her head on my shoulder, making it wet with all her tears. Tears of my own wet her hair a little. She somehow managed to choke out,  "Why did you leave me?"  She was referring to me leaving her alone to go to a bar instead of talking to her that night.  "I... I don't know, Rayne,"  I cried. Moments later, she pulled away from my shoulder and wiped it; I took my hands and wiped her face. I helped her stand and walked her over to the table.

"I read the letter,"  I announced. She raised her eyebrow as if she were saying,  "And?"  I continued,  "I read it every night, and I've thought about it long and hard. I've gotten little sleep over these nights you've been gone; it gave me time to think about what will be. I have no clue what came over me that night. Beforehand, as you could imagine, I was already confused about.. us. I-"  she let in a sharp breath of air fill her lungs as I continued,  "I wasn't sure about whether we would last. I want you to know that I have made a decision about us, in case you haven't already."

She softly spoke,  "What have you decided?"  I gulped and took in a breath of air. I felt like throwing up and passing out, but I couldn't let her be in the pain of not knowing my decision. I whispered as tears rose to my eyes,  "I... I'm afraid that I can't do this, Rayne. I can't truthfully say that I believe we would work out right now. I feel like-"  I stopped myself from talking as I watched her hands fly over her mouth, squeezing herself tightly. Tears sprung into her eyes and her face grew red. Her big, beautiful eyes were red as well, and the green in her eyes began to lightly fade.

"I.. I feel like.. we need to drop this and.. and get our lives together. I.."  I couldn't explain myself. I continued to stutter while watching her break down. She wiped the tears off of her face as she spoke,  "I know what you're trying to say, Peregrin. What you're saying, is that you want to have fun before you settle down. What you're trying to say, is that you don't want me anymore because you've grown bored in our relationship. What you're trying to say-"  I cut her off and spoke quickly, "No. What I'm trying to say, is I am not ready for a relationship with such... such an amazing, perfect woman like you. I can't be the Hobbit I am now and jump into a relationship. I need to work on myself so I can be a better Hobbit; a better husband; a better father."

Her head flew into her arms when I said father. Tears continued to stream down my hot face as she whimpered.  "Are you okay, Rayne?"  She shook head and spoke,  "I'm fine."  I shook my head and put my hand on her shoulder,  "No, you're not. Are you hurt by this?"  She looked up with me, her huge eyes boring into my skull. She slammed her fists on the table and yelled,  "How can I not be upset? The man I love just pushed me away!"  Tears ran down from both of our faces as we sat in silence.

"I'm sorry I snapped,"  she whispered,  "I think you're right. We need to throw this away.. It's no good. We can't live like this."  She looked up at me and spoke,  "Will this be our last goodbye, Pippin?"  Another tear slid down my cheek as I whispered,  "I certainly hope not."  She let out a small smile, as did I. She wiped my tear away from my face and stood up; I stood up and looked in her eyes, that were no longer green... but more of a.. a black color..

"I suppose I'll be at home or something. When will you get your stuff?"  I scratched my neck and whispered,  "I haven't got the slightest clue. Soon, though."  She began to walk away. Something came over me; I snatched her wrist and pulled her over to me, pressing my lips on hers. She immediately kissed back, then slowly pulled away. I whispered,  "I'm sorry.."  She smiled a little and shook her head,  "Don't worry about it,"  a tear rolled down her cheek. I wiped her tear away and let her walk on.

"You did the right thing,"  Merry spoke. I ran and hugged him;  "It was so hard, Merry. Will she be alright?"  Merry nodded and spoke,  "Yes. It's good you both let each other go. I hate seeing both of you upset, but if something is stopping you from loving someone, something has to happen... It's for the better, Pip."  A single tear fell from his eye as he spoke,  "I'm going to check on Rayne. When I come back, I'll tell you when you'll be able to get your things."