Chapter 16

"I wish to speak with him now,"  I commanded. The guard retorted,  "I'm sorry, ma'am, no visitors aloud at this time of night."  I puffed and replied,  "It's five in the afternoon!"  Legolas opened the doors and spoke,  "Guard, what is this noise going on?"  He looked at me and smiled. He sprinted towards me and wrapped me in a hug.  "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be in The Shire alongside Merry and Pippin?"   I shook my head as he lead me into his room. I explained everything that happened; he listened intensely, nodding his head and understanding what happened between Pippin and I.

We sat in his room in silence a few moments afterwards;  "If you want my opinion,"  he began to say,  "Then I would tell you that I wouldn't deal with it. I'm not saying you deserve better than him, but you deserve to be treated better than how you were that night. He may just be very stressed, which still gives him no reason to snap at you; but that is a possible cause of the outbreak. The decision is up to you. You may stay here for as long as you like, Rayne. You are always welcome here."  He smiled and walked out of the room, letting me settle in.

I didn't take much space up; I wouldn't be staying here too long. Only until I knew what to do about Pip. He's such an amazing, charming, funny person; but he pushed it a little too far that night. Legolas walked in the room with a tray of food.  "Here, you must be starving. You've been traveling for... how long?"  I replied,  "Just a couple of days. I've had a few apples."  He smiled as I bit into a lemon he brought. He spoke,  "Well, you are part Hobbit. From what I've heard, you have seven meals a day."  I smiled and nodded.  "Thank you, Leggy."  He smiled and shook his head, remembering the old nickname that still followed him.

"It's dark out; I suppose you'll be going to bed soon,"  I stated.  Legolas spoke, while grabbing some clothes,  "Yes, I will be. You may use the restroom down the hall to wash up before sleeping. I'll use the one in here."  I asked,  "Where will I be sleeping?"  "In here with me will be fine, right?"  I nodded and whispered,  "Yeah. That's fine."  I stood, quickly grabbing some clothes. He spoke,  "I'm not sure how my father would react to see a woman in my bed, so we should stay a little quiet. I'm sure he'd be pleased to see that you're not a Dwarf."  I chuckled and spoke,  "It's fine. I probably won't sleep anyway. I don't need sleep."  He smiled and thought aloud,  "You are half Elf, aren't you?"  I nodded and smiled.

I stayed with Legolas for about two and a half weeks. It was kind of like a vacation for me to be away from the Shire; I just got to sit back and relax with an old friend for a while, just to get my mind off things. Especially if that friend is very supportive and helpful.

"I wish a safe journey for you,"  Legolas spoke. I was sitting on my horse, getting ready to leave. I smiled and thanked him.  "Know that if anything happens, you can always see your best friend, Leggy,"  he commented. I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought him down to my level, though I was on a horse. I whispered,  "I don't see why you won't date any of the women here."  He pulled back in confusion and spoke,  "What do you mean by that?"  He smirked as I answered,  "Well, you're so kind and you're a great guy; very handsome and I believe you know how to treat someone right."  He smiled and spoke,  "I'm just waiting for the right one. I'll see you around, Rayne. Don't be a stranger."  I nodded as he kissed my cheek and commanded the horse to ride.

Days later, I was still traveling. I somewhat regretted leaving the comfort of Legolas, but I couldn't hide forever. I looked across the hill I was sitting on and sighed while staring at the town; I didn't feel like going home yet, so I tied my horse up and climbed a tree. The sun faded as the moon shone, and I closed my eyes. I dreamed about an isolated life. I'm not sure as to where I was, but I crossed an ocean and lived by myself. I woke up far before dawn, but decided to head out anyway. It would take less than 30 minutes to ride down to The Shire.

My horse galloped on the roads. until it reached my house. I put her up and slowly walked inside, trying to be as quiet as possible. I put my bag and bow on the table and slid into my room; there was no sign of Pippin here. I nodded and walked back to the table and put my things away. I Stepped out of the house and sighed. I didn't want to stay there. I walked my way around the small town and smiled at the fond memories; I was only gone for a couple of weeks, not an eternity. I missed The Shire, no doubt. All of it's beauty, everywhere, just surrounding you. I shuffled myself closer and closer to the bar.

Surprisingly, there were many people here. I smiled at the business and looked around. In the corner sat Frodo; alone, just like last time. I smiled and walked over to him, sitting down in front of him.  "Rayne, you're back!"  I smiled as he did and spoke,  "Yeah; I couldn't keep myself away for too long."  Frodo nodded and asked,  "How was it in Mirkwood?"  I replied,  "Great. Legolas was with me the whole time; I made a few new friends, and I cleared my mind of what needed to be cleared. How's.. Peregrin?"  He made an awkward face at the sound of Pippin's real name and spoke,  "He's.. doing okay, I guess. That's something I'm not sure of. He's kept away from us since you left. Merry said it was to think, so we let him be. He and Merry are together, but not as close as they once were. I'm worried for Pippin."

I sighed and looked down at the wooden table;  "Do you know if he's figured out what we'll do yet?"  Frodo made a smacking noise with his lips and hesitantly said,  "I'm really not sure. He's talked about it before, but he's never really said anything about it, you know? Or at least while I'm around."  I nodded, understandingly, and whispered,  "He's not at the house..."  Frodo nodded and spoke,  "Merry made him leave the house and live with him until you got back." 

"I'll be leaving now; I'll see you soon, Frodo. Promise me you'll try to get sleep tomorrow.."  He smiled and nodded,  "Yeah, yeah, I'll get some sleep. Good luck."  I smiled as I walked out of the bar. The sun would be coming up soon. I let my feet carry me to Merry's house, and soon found myself entering. I looked around the surprisingly clean house and tip-toed around the house. I looked in his room to see him and Pippin, sharing his bed. Both looked like they had trouble sleeping, or maybe they had nightmares. I smiled, looking at Pippin. I slowly inched my way over there and knelt down beside him and smiled. I felt a tear rise from my eye and fall onto his bare shoulder. He slightly flinched, causing me to draw back. I stood up and walked to his table that was cornered beside the kitchen. I waited for what seemed like hours. My stomach did flips, my feet and fingers wouldn't sit still, and my head wouldn't be quiet.

I heard footsteps walking in the kitchen, a light with them. a lone voice called out as the light shone through a window,  "Rayne?"