Chapter 21

"Rayne,"  Merry mumbled,  "We're hungry. We need to stop to eat!"  I rolled my eyes and stated,  "Eat while you ride; we have no time to stop. I'm the only one here that knows where they're going, so if I were to leave you three, you would be lost."  Sam reasoned,  "Rayne, we only take ten minutes. We'll have plenty of time to get to the Shire. I want to get there soon as well, yes, but we can't travel on empty tummies."  I stopped my pony and blocked the others from moving on.  "Take as long as you like."  The guys dug into whatever Sam cooked as I sat on a rock.  "Rayne,"  Sam whispered. He walked closer to me and asked,  "Are you okay? I understand the stress that you've been put under. If you'd like, you could give me directions back home and you could go ahead and leave us."  I smiled and rubbed his hair and spoke,  "It's fine, Sam. I wouldn't want to leave you guys anyway. I'm just very upset right now. Thank you."

We continued riding back home, but in silence. I sighed and sped up, trying not to take forever getting back home. It was almost nightfall when Pippin stopped his pony.  "What are you doing?"  I asked.  "It's almost nightfall. We'll be staying here, right?"  I nearly chuckled as I spoke,  "No way. We're going home. We're not too far away, we could make it."  Sam asked,  "What about robbers and dangerous folk?"  I rolled my eyes and spoke,  "There won't be any."  Merry piped in,  "And if there are?"  I eyed him and replied,  "Then we fight them off."  "None of us here have weapons!"  I pulled out my bow and asked,  "This is obviously a weapon. Come on; let's get home."

Pippin retorted,  "No."  Sam turned to face me and started riding a little farther away from me.  Merry sat on his pony beside Pippin as I turned to look at them.  "And why not?"  I asked.  Pippin spoke,  "I'm not moving an inch until you tell me what's wrong. You've been being distant and mean towards us, and I want to know why."  I jumped off of my ride and daggers and bow and walked away while speaking,  "Set up camp, do whatever."  They jumped from their horses and ran around; Sam grabbed sticks to set ablaze, Merry grabbed grass. and Pippin followed me into a slightly wooded area.

I ran along for what seemed like miles, I stopped behind a big tree and sighed.  "Are you going to tell me what's wrong?"  Pippin popped up from nowhere. I furrowed my eyebrows and spoke,  "I don't have to tell you anything, Peregrin Took. You are not my leader."  He raised his hands and spoke,  "It's true; I'm not. But that doesn't mean I can't care about you still..."  There was a slight pause between us. He then whispered,  "That's it. You're still upset about our break up. You miss me."  I raised myself from the ground and nearly shouted,  "No! No, I do not 'miss you'. Ugh. Why do you have to be so self absorbed?"  He got angry and spoke louder,  "Why do you have to be so mean?"  I cried out,  "Why do you have to be so complicated?"  He yelled, inching closer to my face,  "Why are you insane?"

I stopped and stared at him; he knew I hated being called crazy, or anything that is related to that. He let an apologetic look cover his face. I turned away slowly and walked away. He stood in the same spot, just looking down at his feet. I felt a surge of anger rush inside of me as I grabbed a dagger and threw it near him; I aimed at he tree beside him. I could never hurt him. I stomped towards him and spat between gritted teeth,  "How dare you question my sanity! If anything, you were the one to take it away!"  I was now face to face with him; I had him pinned against a tree. I snatched my dagger from it and pushed it in my pocket, slowly backing away from him. I whispered,  "I suppose I'm not all there in the head, Pippin... Go up there with the guys and help set up."  "I don't want to leave you down here. not knowing if you'll be okay or not,"  he stated.  "Please leave. I'll be up there shortly,"  I pleaded. He nodded and began to walk away. I sighed and sat in the same spot for a few minutes.

I decided it was time for me to leave, so I stood and grabbed my bow. I heard leaves crunching, but it wasn't me. I scaled the closest tree and saw from above that a man was standing over something. He hovered above n object and held a sword.  "Hmph."  I swung myself a few tree down to take a closer look at what he had.  Pippin's eyes met mine and I frowned. He as on the ground with a cut leg, staring up at me. I shook my head and moved to a different tree. I sighed as I grabbed a few arrows in one hand and jumped down. The man, standing well above me, noticed me and turned around. My arrows were pointed at him; I spoke,  "What do you think you're doing?"  I got no answer from the man; only a deep laugh. His gruff voice whispered,  "You're too easy to take on."  I let my arrows go; one hit his head, one hit his neck, and the other his his chest. Pippin looked up at me with a terrified look and spoke,  "You just killed him."  "He was going to kill us, Pippin. Don't you understand? This is why we were given weapons! To protect ourselves."  Pippin stood and brushed himself off and spoke,  "Thank you, Rayne."  He opened his arms and awkwardly put them around me.

The next day, we traveled for a few hours until we reached the Shire. From there, we all went our separate ways.

I can''t stay in The Shire for too much longer; I need to get out. Yes, it has a beautiful scenery, but it also has memories. Memories I wish not to be remembered of. Where I will go, I don't know, bu I won't be here for too much longer. I won't have to deal with the constant reminder of what heartbreak I have been through. Not. Any. More.