-3-

"By Vala's and Borden's beard you could have been really hurt!" Thora said with a sigh, those that came as a reinforcement had of course assumed Randi was the one to kill the wyvern but to my surprise she actually denied it, telling them it was actually me.

Thora basically looked like me with father's dark hair and eyes and some more fur as clothing, her fake leg just a good as a normal one, you wouldn't know she had lost it if you weren't looking at it.

(her leg is basically that shape since I forgot to draw her, just a wooden and metal peg leg)

"Sorry." I spelt out in the language we made up when we were young, it was practical as it only needed one hand but I stuck to short phrases since that was easier.

"It's fine I just worried when I heard you rode on a freaking wyvern.... At least it learnt its lesson." I grinned down as the stripped skull in my hand.

The wyvern you kill you keep its head as a trophy, you peel all the flesh off it and scrub it clean before brushing melted bees wax into it to preserve the bone, I was still at the part of scrapping all the flesh of it.

It was only the top of the skull that was kept and the rest? We took the bodies, we had long found out the scales were great to create tools and scale-mail armor, the hide strong and durable so cloth and the meat, even if a bit dry in mouth another source of food, the bones carved into needles and ground into powder.

"You did good Renva." She gently punched my shoulder.

"Thanks."

"Any time."

I decided to do the waxing tomorrow and left the bloody leather apron on the table I worked at.

I looked up at all the skulls lining the walls, all the ten wyverns dad killed, an amazing feat.

I then glanced down at the little dip made into the wall where one skull with a hole cutting through the forehead of it was placed with a carving of mom.

"Miss you." I told the carving before heading up stairs to sleep, blowing out as the candles along the way as I was the last up, only leaving the fireplace burning.

Next morning I took my white and black arrow set and my bow, I cannot go looking for a new staff wood without a weapon can I?

I walked long along the dirt road, most not long enough and some too bumpy.

It is hard to find the way around.

I came upon an old stone ruin.

It was a large stone circle in the ground with different sized stone pillars reaching far up in the sky with unknown marking on them and a cube block with a dip in it to serve as an alter, this was known by my people as the gate of gods, the place they came to talk to us, the place they came through to observe us.

I looked around before pulling an arrow out and stepping into the circle, putting the arrow into the indent as an offering and kneeled down, hands held over my heart as I closed my eyes.

I prayed for good luck, for ma family and all those I knew to be protected from the wyverns wrath.

My eyes snapped open when I heard the flap of wings and saw a winged shadow loom over.

I gasped silently and pulled an arrow I knocked, pulling the string back and letting it fly.

The wyvern scaled tips should was stabbed through a wyvern's body but it bounced off it.

"You have nothing to fear child." I got to my feet in awe as it talked, this looked like a wyvern but it had four paws and wings, a really long neck and narrow head.

"That's because I am no wyvern child of human but those called a dragon." How did it guess what I was thinking? Is it hearing the thoughts itself?

"I have been sent here with a warning child of human, a warning that could save everyone."

What warning? If you can hear me you got to tell me more.

"A darkness rises from the waves, sweeping all on its way and despite it being far to far for you to see it looms and will come, destroying all on its way, be it wyvern or be it human."

So you can hear me, oh great dragon whoever you are and whatever god sent you to warn me.... What can I do about this?

"A great change will soon shape your world and everyone's futures, trust in your instincts and they will guide you in the right away."

I tried yelling after it but it was a normal toned mess as it took its flight and was soon gone from my eyes as it exploded into many petals the drifted away in the wind..... I've never seen a dragon being before..... Such a beautiful silver... A beast of gods.

But what was it talking about? A big change? Future? Darkness?

I bowed my head at the alter and left, arrow long gone from it.

I found me the perfect young tree to make a new staff from so I broke its trunk at the base which took me a little time to do.

I decided to sit down to take a break from the effort and pulled out my notebook and my newest pencil, lets hope this time I don't lose the charcoal piece or the wood holder of it... Do that way to often.

I slowly sketched this dragon named being, wondering which god they served, anyhow it must be a powerful one to have such a beast at its side.

I closed the book and grabbed the thin trunk and started working on it as it would be a long process but lucky I grabbed all I would need.

I cut the young branches off and debarked the tree before I shortened it to the same length my other old staff was and worked on thinning it down to the right width, this took me the whole day almost and ended up eating alone in the woods.

Despite us living between blocks of floating ice it wasn't that cold.... I think? I grew up here so I couldn't tell if any outsider would find it cold, we have two times of the year and it is the warmer times, that meant snow could fall but not hail and ice was a bit less frequent.... I love it here with my family... If only it wasn't for those wretched wyverns all would be perfect.

The sun was not considered to be setting yet but the sky was changing from its light blue color.

I stood to head home but I heard an unnatural noise.... Should I check it out? My instincts told me so I listened since who am I to not heed the words of a wise godly being?