-16-

A traitor.

Renva is a traitor.

I just can't believe it... How dare she turn her back on us? Her people?

I felt a bitter taste in my mouth as I followed her while the memories of earlier were clear as day.

I had come to notice there were days she woke up tired so I kept a look out, my instincts telling me so and indeed there were nights she left her home.

And tonight I had followed her.

I was in awe and mortified at the same time at what I saw, the huge beast of a wyvern... Bending to the will of Renva.

Can she control them somehow? If so then why do they attack us? Is it her fault?

All these unanswered questions.... All these secrets.... Just what has you been hiding from us all?

I followed her in silence as she lead us up into the forest, sword ready in case she pulled something, ready to end it all if so needed as in my other hand I held a ball of my own wyvern fire to light the way.

I was really conflicted with all that is going on tonight, I didn't know how to feel... Which is why I took the risk to follow her and listened to her pleading.... It seemed so genuine even tho I wonder about the truth of it all.

She killed wyverns with us and yet is on their side? Just what is going on.

"Are we far?" I asked coldly, not letting my conflicting feelings get into my voice, we had been walking for a long time and made it onto a plateau where the woods cleared out, the sun was just barely lighting the sky, not yet rising.

"No." She said, turning to me and I was almost hurt by the look in her eye, I did say some hurtful things but she is the one owing me an explanation not me. "Trust me one last time."

I swallowed my worried, glancing at my sword when she pointed at it, getting what she meant.

"This once, if I die nothing will save you from the wrath that will befall upon you." If Renva came back to the village but I was missing it would be clear what happened since I had warned my father that I was going to see her, I would have been killed by her.

She nodded with a frown before looking up at the cliff face and walking to a small cave entrance, loudly whistling into it, a long whistle.

She stepped back from it, closer to me.

I reached for my sword when I heard a shriek but her hand grabbed my wrist, I glared into her pleading eyes before slowly letting go of the pommel.

A dark shadow loomed off the top of the cliff as I looked up seeing a pure black wyvern that was bigger then any I've seen before.

"He is named Black." Renva 'said' when I gawked at her.

"You are a monster." I whispered as I stepped away from her as the sounds of claws on stone were heard and a medium gamma sized green wyvern launched out of the cave and landed in front of us, blowing air through it's nostrils.

For the first time in my life I was truly scarred of what my fate was.

It stared her down and it took my all too not do anything hasty as even right now I don't want her dead but before I could move Renva hissed at it and it looked at her with a tilted head, walking closer and bumping its forehead into her chest.

I watched in true awe as she hugged it around the head.

"He Soren." She said pointing as him.

Soren.... That was the name I read in her notebook.... She has been doing this for that long? I have no words.

She looked around for something before walking to the cliff face with the wyvern following after and writing on it with charcoal.

'Ask away, I have what answers you are looking for.' She wrote as she looked back at me and scratched under the wyverns jaw... It is.... Purring...

"Why?" Is all I whispered, just unable to tie today's her to her past.

'Yes I hated wyverns that has been true for most of my life, for taking my voice, my dad's shoulder, my sister's leg and my mother, I felt shame in what I became, shame towards my mother who died to one of them. But you might not know Randi my mother was always so sure that one day she'd find a way for peace, the only reason she raised the axe that day was because we were in danger.'

"But why? Why?"

'You see Soren here?' She pointed at the wyvern sitting near her. 'I met him after I went to the gates of gods and was greeted by such a majestic creature the day after we both killed that wyvern together.'

She stopped writing and quickly started sketching out something on the wall.

"What is that?" I breathed out of the wyvern looking being she drew but with significant differences.

'This is a dragon as it called itself, scales of a silver never seen even in treasure, it foretold of a future. A future where all of us would die, us humans and wyverns, it also told me I would bring change to our world and I should listen to my instincts.'

I stared at the drawing with my mouth wide open.

'I heard the sounds of a small scuffle, finding him abandoned by his mother and left to die.'

My awe came back each time she touched the wyvern without being bitten as I looked up as the noise, many more had joined the black one in staring down at us, a shimmering rainbow of scales.

"Amazing." I whispered before realizing I did. "I mean, why didn't you kill him? That is what we are taught to do."

'I know and I wanted too but look.' She grabbing under his jaw and turned his head to me. 'He is half blind too.' She quickly wrote as I dared a step closer to see better and it was true, that eye of his was badly damaged, he might not even see anything, not even light, through that one.

"So you felt kinship? That's all?"

'Not entirely.'

She walked to his tail and lifted it as my eyes narrowed.

"No fins?" I found myself squinting but there was no marks of them having been ripped off.

'He was born like this, he lacks parts that make him whole just like I do, my instincts told me I couldn't just let this hatchling die, I just couldn't so I hid and raised him.'

She snapped her fingers and the wyvern stood up, walking around her and diving back into the cave as I heard his claws scrap the stone.

'I just told him he is free to go.'

"So you raised a wyvern...."

'That's why I hurried away when you told me about the house search and why Thora and I got into a fight and I ran away, I needed to keep him safe.'

"Were you the one to free the wyverns?"

'Yes, they didn't deserve it.'

"But you killed a yellow one!"

'She was in pain, wing splintered and waiting to die in pain and starvation if I hadn't done something to help her.'

"But what about the wyverns attacking us? You can't think they deserve mercy even if yours does!"

'They are hungry, we humans hoard food, we travel to other islands to bring the animals back so what choices do they have? Face us with the risk of death but bring food back or starve.'

I didn't know what to say as I now saw she'd defend them no matter what.