eleven : bombing

eleven : bombing

ELAINE AND SAM STOOD BY AS STEVE AND SHARON TALKED. Elaine could tell Sharon was staying in her lane, and that the blonde woman was just kind. It gave Elaine a little relief to know that Sharon wasn't romantically interested in Steve. But then again, why would Elaine care?

The TV behind Elaine and Sam caught their attention as they averted their gazes away from Steve and Sharon. On the TV was a photo of a news van and an image of a suspect on the side. The headlines were worse.

SUSPECT OF THE BOMBING IN VIENNA HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AS JAMES BUCHANAN BARNES, ALSO KNOWN AS, THE WINTER SOLDIER.

"Shit." Elaine muttered, knowing that's where the Accords were being signed. There was a picture of Steve's best friend with his hood up, his face barely identifiable. Elaine turned to Sam. "We need to show Steve."

Sam nodded and walked off, getting a few steps ahead of Elaine as she finally tore her eyes from the TV and walked with the man.

▔▔▔▔▔▔

      Sharon paced behind the trio as she was on the phone, the TV broadcasting the bombing again.

      "A bomb hidden in a news van," The TV spoke. "ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

      Elaine glanced at Steve, who had an unreadable expression as Sharon spoke. "I have to go to work."

▔▔▔▔▔▔

      Elaine, Steve, and Sam had all changed into their undercover clothes as Steve went outside the café, calling Natasha.

      "All right," Sam spoke from next to Elaine as she sipped her iced coffee. "I can smell your emotions from a mile away."

      "I have no clue what you're taking about." Elaine shrugged, tapping her perfectly manicured fingernails on the wood.

      "I can sense the flicker of jealousy." Sam teased.

      She snapped her head to him. "Jealousy?"

      "Mmhm." Sam hummed. "I can see it working in you each time you saw Sharon and Steve."

      "Right." Elaine mused. "I'm not jealous. Just... cautious."

      Sam scoffed. "Cautious, my ass."

      "I have no need to be cautious of your flat ass." Elaine smirked, knowing she won their little banter as Steve walked back in, sitting to Elaine's right.

      "She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asked with a mouthful of whatever food he ordered. Steve only nodded. "Might have a point."

      "He'd do it for me." Steve stated. Elaine was taking Steve's side on this one. You may be able to erase memories, but feelings can never be taken away.

      "1945, maybe." Sam rebutted. "I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you and Elaine usually wind up shooting at me."

      Sharon arrived by Steve as Sam finished his statement. "Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter soldier goes to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this." She slid Steve a file. "My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now... so that's all the head start you're gonna get."