twenty four : carol danvers

ELAINE TOOK HER SEAT ON A TABLE, LISTENING TO RHODES AND EVERYONE ELSE AS THEY EXPLAINED EVERYTHING ONCE AGAIN. She couldn't stand to look at Bucky's picture anymore, she wasn't able to handle that pain.

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodes began.

"World governments are in pieces." Natasha added on. Wanda's picture suddenly popped up, causing Elaine to swallow thickly and look away. "The parts that are still working.. are trying to take a census and it looks like he did... He did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out.. 50% of al living creatures."

There was a long silence before Tony spoke up. "Where is he now? Where?"

"We don't know." Steve regretfully said with his arms crossed, leaning on the table next to Elaine as her hands held her weight behind her. "He just opened a portal and walked through."

Tony sighed and pointed to Thor who was sitting isolated and looking down. "What's wrong with him?"

"Oh, he's pissed." Rocket nonchalantly spoke. "He thinks he failed. Which, of course, he did, but, you know, there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear." Tony voiced his thoughts to the talking raccoon.

"Maybe I am." Rocket retorted.

Steve finally drove the conversation back on track. "We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him."

"Who told you that?" Tony defensively asked. "I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight, 'cause he's not beatable."

"Okay, did he give you any clues?" Steve asked, which Elaine loudly scoffed at. "Any coordinates, anything?"

"Uhm," Tony sarcastically sputtered as he put his hand to his head and moved it away, motioning that he had nothing. "I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't want to believe it. I thought I was dreaming."

Steve pushes himself off the table with a serious face. "Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus."

"And I needed you." Tony raised his voice. "As in, past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late, buddy. Sorry. You know what I need? I need a shave." Tony knocked the bowl of food away from him and stood. "And I believe I remember telling all you—" Tony cut himself off as he tried ripping the IV out, Rhodes repeating his name in an attempt to stop him. "Alive and otherwise, that what we needed, was a suit of armor around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed."

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?" Elaine sassed, her Sokovian accent flourishing in her angry tone.

"I said we'd lose." Tony recalled, giving Steve a look. "You said, "We'll do that together, too." And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the "Avengers?" Rhodes kept Tony back as the philanthropist tried to get in Steve's face. "We're the "Avengers," not the "Pre-vengers."

"Okay." Rhodes said, trying to sit tony back down.

"Right?"

"You made your point, just sit down, okay?"

"Okay. No, no, here's my point. You know what?Shes great, by the way." Tony pointed to Carol, who stood in silence.

"Tony, you're sick. Sit down."

"We need you. You're new blood." Tony escaped Rhodes' grasp and began walking to the blonde super soldier. "Bunch of tired old mules. I got nothing for you, Cap. I got mo coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust, liar." Tony ripped the transportable and removable arc reactor from his chest, grabbing Steve's hand and placing it on his palm. "Here, take this. You find him, you put that on, you hide."

Tony's legs couldn't support his body, making him fall to his knees.

"Tony!" Steve called, going to help him.

"I'm fine." Tony brushed off, Carol behind him and ready to help. "Let me.." He trailed off and fainted, harshly hitting the ground as Carol and Elaine bent down to him.

▔▔▔▔▔▔

      As Tony was given medical attention by Bruce, the rest waited outside the room. Rhodes finally walked out, his footsteps loud compared to the whispers. "Bruce gave him a sedative. He's gonna probably be out for the rest of the day."

      "You guys take care of him." Elaine cleared her throat, having spoken with Carol when the others weren't paying attention.

The Avengers were falling apart, some of them even erased, Vision dead, and here they were, arguing over the fact Tony didn't get anything, Wakanda was a huge fail, and now they're back at square one.

When Elaine realized she and Carol had both gotten their powers from direct contact to an Infinity Stone and have remarkably similar powers, they conversed. One touch of skin to skin contact between them told Elaine everything she needed to know. She could survive in space without any protection, she had the electrical power to light up an entire planet or take it out, her unexplored hydrokinesis could flood a continent, and her telekinesis could do anything she wanted it to.

With that power, her mind settled on the same thing Carol's did.

They were going to kill Thanos.

      "We'll bring him a Xorrian Elixir when we come back." Carol kept her arms crossed as she and Elaine began walking off.

      "Where are you two going?" Steve asked, watching the two powerful women walk away from him.

      They both answered at the same time. "To kill Thanos."