twelve : mission report

      INSIDE THE ARMORED TRUCK, BUCKY WORE RESTRAINTS INSIDE A PRISON POD WHILE ELAINE WAS IN A SIMILR ONE. Three armed guards anxiously sat on the other side of the glass-walled pods.

      Bucky and Elaine kept making eye contact from across each other. Bucky's eyes wandered to the tight straight jacket Elaine was forced in and his brows furrowed. His eyes then travelled to the shock collar that was tight on her pale neck, leaving faint bruising edging around it. They treated her like some stray dog, and his fists clenched from the thought.

      Elaine didn't remember most of the journey, only making constant eye contact with Bucky and meeting Steve's concerned gaze before they moved her and Bucky to an evaluation room.

      "I'm not here to judge either of you." The man on the other end of the room assured. "I just want to ask a few questions. Do you know where you are, James?" Bucky didn't reply. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

      "My name is Bucky." He rasped.

      "Tell me, Bucky." The man spoke. "You've seen a great deal, haven't you?"

      "I don't want to talk about it." Bucky finalized.

      "You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop." The man concluded, and he was beginning to sound like a therapist. "Don't worry." He paused, looking down on a tablet. The expression on his face became confident and almost smug. "We only have to talk about one."

      In the bunker the lights go out, causing Elaine to look around herself. "That wasn't me." She declared.

      Bucky looked over at Elaine before looking forwards. "What the hell is this?"

      Instead of responding, he replied with something else. "Why don't we discuss your home? Not Romania. Certainly not Brooklyn, no. I mean, your real home." The man removed his fake glasses before he walked towards Bucky, reading from a worn down red book with a black star on it by torchlight. "Желание. [Longing.]"

      Bucky screwed shut his eyes. "No." He muttered.

      "Bucky? What's he saying!" Elaine badgered.

      Bucky's head snapped back onto the headrest as the man, who obviously isn't the evaluator, continued."Ржавый. [Rusted.]"

      "Stop." Bucky weakly said, the words somehow affecting him. Elaine had to figure something out as she wriggled in her straight jacket.

      "Семнадцать. [Seventeen.]" The man added.

      Bucky's metal arm trembled in its restraint. "Stop." He angrily repeated.

      "Рассвет. [Daybreak.]"

      "Stop!" Elaine shouted just as Bucky screamed, clenched his fist, and ripped free of his restraints. Elaine harshly tugged once more, finally breaking the buckle and releasing her left arm.

      "Печь. [Furnace.] Девять. [Nine.]" Bucky thumped the inside of the pod, trying to break free. "Добросердечный. [Benign.]" Bucky punched harder as Elaine finally got her right arm free. "Возвращение на Родину. [Homecoming.] Один. [One.] Грузовой вагон. [Freight car.]"

      Bucky battered the front of the pod with his metal fist and the glass screen flew clear as Elaine pried off the shock collar, taking off the straight jacket as well. The man slowly rounded the pod with the book and the torch in hand. He anxiously stood before Bucky who straightened, a dark frown on his face.