Chapter eight: Aptitude

It has been a week since the U.A. entrance exams. Izuku had been helping Eri shift to living with him and had even helped her decorate the spare room in his apartment that became her bedroom. On Thursdays and weekends he had also begun babysitting not only for income but to also teach himself how to take care of kids and in the process making Eri's life better.

He and Eri had just woken up and after getting dressed, he made himself and Eri breakfast, he heard a knock on the door, followed by a letter slipping through the mail slot. It had the seal of U.A. on it and it was a little heavier than he expected it to be, picking it up and bringing it to the table where Eri was drinking some orange juice.

"Hey what's that big bro?" Eri said. She began to see Izuku as her big brother, just as he had begun to see her as his little sister.

"Oh right. I didn't tell you." You see, I applied to a school and I had to take an exam. This letter should tell me if I pass."

"Then open it! I wanna see, I wanna see!" She said excitedly. Izuku then smiled at her, opening the letter as a thick metal disk fell onto the table, lighting up as it hit the table, revealing a hologram of All Might.

"I AM HERE, IN HOLOGRAM FORM!" All Might boomed as Eri lit up while Izuku scowled.

"YOUNG YAGI. I AM HERE TO INFORM YOU THAT YOU DID VERY WELL ON BOTH THE WRITTEN AND THE PRACTICAL EXAM! SCORING 92% ON THE WRITTEN, WHILE GAINING 89 POINTS ON THE PRACTICAL, EARNING A SPOT IN THE TOP 10 ON THE WRITTEN WHILE BEING SECOND ON THE PRACTICAL EXAM! NOW I KNOW YOU MIGHT BE WONDERING HOW YOU GAINED SO MANY POINTS! THAT IS BECAUSE THERE WAS A HIDDEN FACTOR TO THE EXAM! NOT ONLY WERE YOU SCORED BASED ON THE AMOUNT OF VILLAINS YOU DEFEATED BUT ALSO ON ANY HEROIC ACTS YOU COMMITED. YOU SAVING THAT YOUNG GIRL HAS EARNED YOU AN EXTRA 45 POINTS! AFTER ALL, HOW CAN AN ACADEMY SUCH AS THIS NOT REWARD SUCH ACTS!? WELCOME YOUNG IZUKU YAGI, TO YOUR HERO ACADEMIA! AND IZUKU... I'M SORRY. I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU." All Might finished as the hologram shut off, leaving Eri with an excited face while Izuku was annoyed.

"Woooah! That was so cool!" Eri beamed as stars shined in her eyes. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"I... I don't have the best relationship with All Might..." Izuku said as he sighed as Eri pouted. "But I passed! And guess what?" He said as Eri looked at him in confusion.

"You are going to be going with me!" He said as Eri's face filled with excitement but also a tad bit of nervousness, as she stood on her chair, jumping around lightly. It has only been a short time since she began living with Izuku and he has helped her become more social but was still very nervous around people in person.

"Eri, be careful. Wouldn't want you hurting yourself." Izuku said as Eri quickly calmed down. He then continued. "You'll also be able to start learning. I don't know if Overhaul gave you an education but even if he didn't I'll make sure you'll be a bright little girl. You'll probably be able to train with your quirk as well!" Izuku said as Eri frowned a bit.

"I know that you don't like your quirk but think of all the good you'll be able to if you learn how to control it. You trust me right?" Izuku asked with a warm smile.

"I trust you, Izuku..." She said as she pouted. Izuku simply laughed and patted her on the head as they finished eating.

~A few months later~

"Wake up Eri! It's time to get ready!" Izuku said, causing Eri to jolt up. It's been a few months now since Eri was rescued from Overhaul. Surprisingly they didn't hear from the young gang leader much but that didn't do anything to make Izuku less cautious. However Eri was now more sociable, still nervous around new people but she acted like any normal girl her age now more or less. She still has lackluster control over her quirk but with encouragement, she isn't as scared to use it anymore, which is good since she'll be practicing with it from today onward.