Chapter 11 : "i miss us"

I just wish things could be like they used to,

but they never will now,

I see right through you.

Wish you could tell me all the ways that

I miss you.

- Stay : Why Don't We

Flashback (3 years ago, 14)

Levi and I were partnered for an English project, and I decided to crash at his place. It was pretty normal for us, considering we've been friends for so long. We were well acquainted with each other's families as well, and I, well I knew I wasn't going to fall for him anyways. He was just a really good friend, more like a brother. I can't understand the girls that literally fall at his feet.

His room was simple and black, minimalist at its finest, and I liked it. I walked over to his stereo system and started dancing around his room. He joined in, and honestly it was just us goofing around like always.

"I swear I'm gonna get myself one of those one day," I said pointing to the stereo system

"That good, huh? She'll always be my baby, can't live without her," he said laughing.

Flashback (2 years ago, 15)

I'm so fucked.

"I don't know, Layla. He...he just seems different. Like good different but scary too, well, hotter, I guess."

Levi left school for a few months, he had to be with his sick grandfather, so his family decided to shift there temporarily and he had to go to school there. I didn't see him since Christmas. We rarely talked too, somehow this shift has also shifted our relationship.

He looked so... so grown-up. Like he has been working out like crazy, god those muscles, those abs, shit no no Echo, shut up. But, it wasn't just his physical appearance that changed, it was also him as a person. He gives off an extremely charming demeanour, and if girls were already falling to his feet back then, now they're practically worshipping him at his feet, and to think that I was becoming one of them, oh god.

I went over to his house to see how he was doing, and also to visit his family. His grandfather was doing much better, that's why they decided to shift back.

"Hey." I said.

"Echo, damn it's been a while. How have you been? Why didn't you text me?" He asked looking at me.

I was honestly getting nervous, and all I could think was why the hell was I even nervous in the first place.

"Yeah, I'm good. I heard about your grandfather, I'm glad he's alright. Errr, just busy, I'm sorry. Wh-why didn't you text me?" I anxiously asked.

"Just busy, too. I'm glad we can make up for the time we left off now though." He said averting his gaze from me while walking closer towards me.

For some reason, my feet decided to stay still and I felt like I couldn't breathe. He came closer, and whispered, "I can't wait to see Sierra."

He smelt good. Really good. My senses were filled with that scent, so before being able to process my words, I said, "You smell good."

"What? Hahaha, ahh my sister gave this to me," he said amused while taking out a cologne from his bag.

"Echo, earth to Echo," he snapped his fingers in front of my face while I dazed off.

I shook my head, and got out of my daze, "Ah, yes Sierra. I'm sure she's excited to see you too." I smiled.

I looked up at him, and for the first time, I realised I was actually falling for him. I called Layla to talk to her about this unexplainable attraction that shouldn't have happened at all.

End of flashback.

Present day. (1 day before graduation)

I guess it was just part of growing up and I thought I would be able to get over it soon, until I realised how falling for your best friend can be a dangerous game where there's no end, you'd keep falling and if you lose the game, you're the only one who gets hurt. I fell, and never stopped, where what first was seen as an attraction, soon turned into a crush, which evolved much more. Love? I don't think so, but what I was feeling for him now was somewhere in between infatuated with him and being in love with him.

"So, you'll give this to him first, okay?" I said, passing a note to Layla.

"Alright."

"He should be able to find the rest by himself. I'm not sure if he'd even want to, but I spoke to his mom and she decided to help me too."

"I can't believe you bought him a stereo though," Layla said.

"Hahaha, I know." I chucked softly thinking about how he changed so much in the past years.

He left his stereo system back with his grandfather, told me he didn't want it anymore. I thought about the days we used to dance together, the times he would swat my hands away from his baby, only to give it away and not want it back again. Then again, Sierra told him it was noisy, and it was a useless piece of junk in his room, so I guess that's why too.

He changed his cologne too, for what I was once thought would be my favourite scent in the world, he changed it because Sierra didn't like it. He threw that away too, and never bought it ever again.

The things people do for love, huh.

So why did I buy these things for him? I'm not sure either, was it supposed to be a reminder, a reminder of the good days we had, or was it supposed to be a reminder that I've left him for good, and we can never be friends again, after the confession?

I wish I could turn back time, go back to the days,                                                                                 where things could be like they used to.                                                                                                       But did he want the same?                                                                                                                          
I doubt so, his happiness was her,                                                                                                            
so who was I to wish?