Chapter 14 : "i'm sorry"

Don't forget me, I begged.

I remember you said,

"sometimes it lasts in love,

sometimes it hurts instead."

- Someone like you : Adele

I was at the airport with my family. It was 10pm and our flight was bound for midnight. It was prom night. Layla decided to accompany me at the airport. I still remember the day I told her that I was leaving to Paris. She was heartbroken, not only because I was leaving, but my entire family was well. She became part of the family really fast as soon as my family warmed up to her. She was the good vibes to my bad vibes. She was the light in my world, and I can't thank her enough for it.

Layla left after our last coffee date at the airport, she was going to give the letter to Levi. I thanked her, hugged her tight and told her to keep in touch.

She hugged me back equally as tight and said her goodbyes to my family.

God, I'm gonna miss her so much.

Our flight got delayed and it had been an hour, according to the staff, we had to wait another hour. I was on my phone, watching YouTube videos and memes.

And suddenly my phone rang. My heart dropped when I saw the name on the screen. My hands started shaking, thinking if I should decline it or pick it up, and my brain decided to choose the latter.

"Hello?" I softly said.

"Echo! Fuck, where are you? I'm going to the airport. Echo! Don't you dare hang up, I swear, I can't believe you're doing this to me." He frantically shouted. I could hear him calling for the taxi, and his voice started to calm down once he was in the car.

"Echo?"

"Levi. Don't come to the airport, I'm boarding soon. D-did you read the letter?"

"I don't care about the letter, Echo. Look, we can fix this, we can still be friends, nothing will change. You didn't tell me you were leaving, Echo, how could you?" He said defeatedly.

"I didn't mean not to tell you, Levi. I just didn't want to see you in person after you read the letter, I don't think I could handle that." I told him honestly.

"You think I'm mad because of the letter? Fuck no, Echo. I-I want to see you please." He sounded so desperate.

"I'm sorry, Levi. I really am."

Just at that moment, the gate to our flight was open, and people started queuing up. My mom told me to get up and I knew I had to end the call.

"Levi, I-I got to go. You deserve the world, I'm sorry I can't be the one to give it to you, but I just want you to be happy, alright." I don't know why I was even apologising, but that's what you do for love right? Keep saying you're sorry, even when it's not your damn fault.

"You gave me more than the world, Echo. You gave me the best friendship. Fuck, please go faster." He said and suddenly started shouting to the taxi driver to drive faster.

"My birthday present, you promised, Echo. We even fist bumped to it." He said, wanting to keep the conversation going.

"Hahaha, I've already prepared it. It's all set, you'll get it, Levi. I don't break promises, remember?" I laughed a little, smiling to myself.

"I can't lose you, Echo."

"I've already lost you, Levi. Don't look for me, please." I sadly whispered, trying to convince myself that leaving him was the best option.

"Bye, Levi." I said, knowing this would be our last conversation.

"I'll miss you, Echo, so so much." He said.

I ended the call, walking to the gate. I switched off my phone, and fell asleep thinking about the events of the day.

How could he have taken the letter so lightly, did he not understand my feelings for him? I was so confused, why was he trying so hard to save our friendship. As much as I wanted the same, I know I could never look at him the same way and I don't think I could handle seeing him with Sierra anymore.

I woke up, looking out of the window in the airplane, absorbing the beautiful night view.

This was a new journey, one that I wanted to start fresh, meet new people, learn a new culture, and maybe, find love

This was a new journey, one that I wanted to start fresh, meet new people, learn a new culture, and maybe, find love. It was time to let Levi leave my thoughts once and for all.

Just like Adele once said, "sometimes it lasts in love, sometimes it hurts instead." And loving Levi, really did hurt.