Chapter 28

Daniel almost drops Clarissa in surprise, not expecting her to throw herself into his arms. Luckily for her, he manages to catch her and holds her close. She tucks her face into his neck and prays that he doesn't openly question what the hell she is doing. In truth, she doesn't really know herself, all she can focus on is the feel of her body against his. She stiffens in shock when she feels a nose pressing her neck, and her mouth opens in astonishment as Cavendish breathes in the scent of her hair. Hyperaware of all the eyes on her, and the man she is clinging to, Clarissa lingers in his arms until it is classed as inappropriate, only then does she break away from him, but she keeps her body pressed up against his. She cranes her neck to look into his face and is relieved to see that he is smiling, if not a little bemused.

"Hello," She whispers, biting her lip and fluttering her eyelashes. He smirks down at her, playing along. 

"That's enough of that," Marie steps forward and seizes her daughter's wrist, dragging her away from the duke, "Give his grace some space to breathe." 

"Of course," Clarissa lets herself be pulled back, her eyes fixed on his.

"Welcome your grace," Marie says, addressing him politely, "I am Marie Lenoir, Clarissa's mother,"

Daniel steps forward and takes her hand, he raises it to his lips and presses a gentle kiss to her knuckles, "I am delighted to meet you, Mrs Lenoir, thank you for having me,"

Marie lets out a nervous giggle, beaming as he steps back. Clarissa has to resist the temptation to roll her eyes, it seems that the duke has turned her mother into a flustered mess. Even Alice is staring at him with an adoring gaze from her place in the background. Men, how ridiculous. 

"It's an honour to have you, and to of course celebrate your engagement to Clarissa," Marie babbles, "My husband is waiting in the parlour, why don't we settle there?"

"Sound delightful," Daniel agrees. 

Marie smiles again, not taking her eyes off his handsome face, "Good, Alice will bring us some tea," 

Alice takes the hint, shooting Clarissa a smirk before she disappears into the servants' stairwell. Marie turns gracefully, leading the way down the corridor, she gestures for the young couple to follow her. Daniel shoots his fiancée a cheeky wink as he passes her and follows her mother towards the parlour. Clarissa glares at the back of his head. Maybe she should have told him more about her father before this meeting, although his charming facade has already seduced her mother, her father will be a more difficult story. It too late now. She sighs and begrudgingly brings up the rear. 

She enters the parlour and hears her mother introducing Daniel to Silas as she shuts the door. She turns and notices that her father is occupying the only armchair in the room, a power move no doubt. Marie positions herself at the small round table that is usually reserved for games, but it offers the best view of the room which will be why she has chosen it. Daniel has settled into the soft velvet of the chaise lounge directly opposite her father. He shifts more to the right and holds out his hand for her. She crosses over and takes it, sitting next to him, their thighs touching. While he relaxes into the cushions, she sits up straight, her hands folded, eyeing her father with quiet determination. Silas keeps his face emotionless, fixed on the duke's lazy smile. The tension in the room is thick and smothering with most of the negative feeling comes from Silas. His brooding presence makes her think that her loved up performance of early, might not have convinced him at all. 

She blinks in surprises as a hand covers her own. She turns her head, her hair falling down her left shoulder in a chocolate waterfall. Daniel's soft gaze washes over her and the corners of her mouth twitch in response. Silas's abrupt cough ruins their moment and they turn back to him.