Epilogue

Five years later...

"DANIEL!!" Clarissa yells from the hallway of Lygon Place, "DANIEL, GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!" 

It's only a quarter past ten and she already wants to throttle her husband. She taps her foot on the tiled floor, her arms folded acorss her chest and a storm brewing in her head. This isn't how she saw her Saturday morning playing out, but the duke has a tendency to throw a spanner in the works of her plans.

"Do you have to shout quite so loud?" Daniel asks, appearing at the top of the stairs. He casually saunters down them, smirking at her. This morning he has chosen to forgo a jacket for a navy shirt, black trousers and a white cravat. His blonde hair has been swept to the side and his eyes are alight as he stops in front of her. 

"What is this?" She demands, shoving an envelope into his hands. 

"A letter I think," He says, taking it and pretending to read its address, "Oh, but it's addressed to you, I surely shouldn't read it," 

"Yes, it's addressed to me," She hisses, snatching it back, "But what the hell is it?"

"I don't know," He holds his hands up in mock surrender, "What does it say?" 

She sighs exasperatedly, unfolding the paper and fixing him with a fierce glare, "I know you are behind this, but it says.....Madam, please find enclosed all the deeds to applicable buildings, businesses, houses and shops in the Westminster area, including Hyde Park and Eastbourne Green..." 

 Daniel listens politely before sinking to his knee and looking up at her with ardent love and respect. She stops reading, the letter falling to her side. 

"What are you doing?" She asks suspiciously. 

He clears his throat, "Miss Lenoir, it has been five years since we signed our marriage contract, I now release you from its binding words, and ask with all the love that this cold heart can muster, that you consent to be my wife for all the years to come, with no contract or ploy holding us together."  

 Clarissa is speechless, she doesn't know whether to attack him or kiss him, instead, she chooses to give him an impassive stare, knowing it will unnerve him. As expected, Daniel begins to fidget on the spot, looking around nervously as he waits for her reply. 

"And this?" She holds up the letter. 

"I wasn't sure what to get you and when I spoke to Peter he said that you've always wanted Westminster, so I..." He trails off, looking disheartened, "Never mind," He grumbles and he starts to get to his feet. 

Before he can, Clarissa sizes his hands and drops to her knees in front of him. His silver eyes find her purple ones and the tension drains out of him as she smiles. She could not resist teasing him first, but in reality, she is quite moved by what he has done. 

"I accept your proposal," She whispers, pressing a sweet kiss to his lips, "And thank you for the gift, I adore it," 

"Oh, why did you have to do that to me," He gasps, clutching at his chest in mock horror, "I've been stressing about this for a week, trying to find the perfect way and the perfect time. George has been no help and I..." 

She can't help but laugh as he rambles on, standing up and helping her to her feet. She smoothes out her pale pink skirts and presses another kiss to his cheek, popping up onto her tiptoes. 

"I love it," She reassures, "And I love you," 

"I knew that," He says arrogantly, "How could you not? I've just gifted you an entire section of London,"