Chapter 34

On the day of her wedding, Clarissa wakes up early. Every detail of today has been meticulously planned and executed by Grace and her mother, yet apprehension still grips her mind and turns her stomach. She lies in her bed until the last moment possible with Alice bringing her a light breakfast that she wolfs down as a bath is drawn for her. She has no time to enjoy the warm bubbles as three maids work on her, soaking her hair, cleaning her nails and polishing her skin until it glows. It takes a lot of composure on her part to stop herself from snapping at them as they pluck, prod and poke at her. 

At lunchtime, she is only allowed a small amount of fruit, that she swallows down wrapped in a robe and feeling quite ridiculous at the number of people fussing around her. With her wedding 2 and half hours away she is starting to feel nervous and the constant gossiping and excitement from her mother and sister are not helping her to relax.

"I still cannot believe you didn't go to Madame Olive's to get your dress made," Celeste says, sitting in Clarissa's chair by the fireplace, and looking through the jewellery box in her hand.

"Dresses are not...ow!" Clarissa jerks her head forwards as a sharp pin pricks her scalp. 

"Apologies miss," The maid doing her hair shoots her a nervous glance, her hands frozen. 

Clarissa forces a nod and sits back, allowing her to continue teasing and combing her shiny chocolate locks into some elaborate style. 

"Dresses are not my area of expertise," She repeats, her hands fidgeting in her lap. She has been sitting on this puff for too long and her legs are starting to feel numb. 

"Neither are men and yet..." Celeste mutters slyly, her pointed expression clearly visible as she holds up a set of jade earing to the light. 

Clarissa shoots her a bitter glare in the mirror, readjusting the collar of her robe. Celeste pulls a teasing face but Marie sashays into the room before the two sisters can start bickering.

"I found it," She sings, holding something that glitters in the light streaming from the balcony. She walks over to the vanity table and smiles at her daughter's disgruntled reflection.

"This is perfect for your wedding," She declares, handing the object to the maid who takes it and places it in front of the extravagant bun that Clarissa's hair has been curled and twisted into at the back of her head. When the maid steps away, Clarissa leans forward to get a better look. Several of her curls have been left to hang around her face, but it is the crystal tiara that sits neatly in her hair that grabs her attention. The shiny silver has been crafted in swirls that wrap around many teardrop-shaped diamonds, it's not that big but it fits perfectly around her bun and glimmers when she turns her head.

"It was your great grandmother's," Maire's eyes tear up and she places a hand on her daughter's shoulder, "It will go perfectly with a diamond necklace and maybe some ruby earings,"

Clarissa touches the tiara, lost for words.

"It can be your something borrowed," Celeste comments. She scrunches up her nose, "And your something old,"

"What about new and blue?" Maire asks. She clucks her tongue, "It's a shame blue isn't your colour,"

"I don't need something new or blue," Clarissa states, beginning to long for some fresh air and more importantly, space. 

"She could wear blue underwear. I am sure you've ordered a blue set amid all the new clothes, mother," Celeste suggests.

Marie claps her hands delightedly, she turns to the maid, "Paint her face and I will find Alice and the blue underwear," She kisses Clarissa's cheek and disappears from the room in a whirl of skirts and fragrant scents. The maid begins to pick up some creams and lotions.