Trip

"Maybe you should go back to school, you fuckin' dumb ass bitch," my brother yelled.

"Maybe you should go get an STD test," I mouthed off.

"Shut up," he rolled his eyes, walking past me, purposely shoving me.

I didn't waste a second smacking him against his arm.

"Fuckin' bitch!" he cursed, hitting me back, "Vaffanculo!"

"Hey!" I heard my father's voice boom as he marched into the living room, "what the hell are you doin'? Don't fuckin' hit your sister, don't fuckin' talk to her that way, I didn't raise you like this!" He smacked him.

"Yeah, Freddie, he didn't raise you like that," I sassed.

His name was Frediano but we all called him Fred or Freddie. It depended on how well he knew you and what he allowed.

"Marie," my father started, "don't get into this, this don't concern you, understand me?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, turning around to leave.

"No, come back here, Marie!" he called.

Marie was my middle name. My first name was Alexis. He's called me by my middle name since I could remember, everyone followed. If the Don did it, they felt the need to.

"What are yooz fightin' about?" he demanded.

"She comes in here, saying I fuckin' took her tweezers, I ain't touching anything of hers, she starts bitchin' me out," Freddie let out, aggravated.

He got smacked up the head again.

"What did I tell you about your language?"

"Sorry, papa," he mumbled, rubbing his head.

"Did you take her stuff?" he demanded.

"No, papa," he answered.

My father looked over at me, "I'll get you new ones, Bimba."

My brother and I shot a glare at each other.

"Now, I need to talk to both of yooz, sit down," he made his way to his seat.

It was a dark brown leather seat. He's had it for as long as I could remember. Never once had he sat on the sofa or anywhere else in the living room.

I brushed past my brother, plopping down on the sofa.

"Bitch," he muttered, sitting beside me and purposely shoving me.

I pushed him back. He retaliated and soon we were in a slapping fight. Believe it or not, two hours ago, we went out to lunch. People who had siblings understood.

"Hey!" my father yelled, "how would your mother feel if she saw you two like this!" he breathed.

Freddie and I stopped, a gloomy feeling taking over.

"Now, Marie, your brother and I have had some conversations these past few weeks, you know, we like to keep you out of the business-"

"The dark parts," my brother clarified.

"Yes, the dark parts," my father nodded.

I rolled my eyes.

It was annoying. They treated me like a child. Yes, I was only seventeen but I was old enough to know how it ran and to be involved in the heists and whackings and whatnots. I found it irritating.

"Don't give me that look, Maire," my father reprimanded, "it's for your protection."

The urge to mock him was strong in me.

"Well, there has been a lot of commotion recently and some old problems are coming back up. After discussing it, you're brother and I decided it was best to relocate you for the time being-"

"Relocate me? What am I? A fuckin' zoo animal?" I mouthed off.

"Do not use that language! Understand me? You are a lady, don't talk like that, you know, it's bad taste," my father shook his head. "But you're going to be moving to Italy for a month while we get things settled here, I have an ally that'll take you in, keep you protected-"

"What the hell?" I spat, "I can take care of myself."

My father sighed, getting angry at my attitude.

"Enough. It is final. I don't want to hear another word. Understand?"

I blinked, attitude dripping out of every pore I had.

"Now, go pack. You're leaving tomorrow."