A Stick and Photo

"Remember when you used to cut up my steak?" I asked my dad.

We were at breakfast before going to see the morning showing of the movie. There were photographers outside, trying to get a statement from my father and trying to ask me questions but little did they know I had no information. Dad wasn't happy about that. It was new to me. I usually wasn't involved in my dad's affairs because he kept me out and because some people didn't know dad even had a daughter- or they forgot. I mean, I still had that news article that someone wrote about Vincent and me. Maybe I only mattered when my dad needed to be attacked? Maybe they knew that my father loved his kids and we're a small weak point for him?

He chuckled, taking a sip of his coffee. "I do. And you'd complain about the smallest sliver of fat and you'd give it all to me."

"Yeah but now I eat it," I pointed out, cutting up my omelet, putting some of it on my toast to make a mini sandwich. "Are you excited about the movie? Do you know what it's about?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "I've seen some trailers."

"Do you gamble?" I asked.

"What?"

"I don't know," I shrugged, looking at him, "just thought of it. There's a song by Katy Perry called Waking Up In Vegas and it's stuck in my head," I told him. "It's about gambling."

He nodded along, eating the breakfast sausages. "No, only a few times when I'm in Vegas but I own some shares so I don't gamble that much."

"Oh. . ." I mumbled, not knowing he had shares in the casino industry.

-

"You have mail," my dad announced as he walked into the living room. Freddie and I were watching television.

"Huh? I did- OH! It might be my test results!" I exclaimed, standing up from the sofa, taking the orange envelope from his hands. I ripped it open, pulling out the letters. My eyes quickly scanned the words. I couldn't contain the scream as I jumped up and down like a happy five-year-old. "OHMYGOD! OHMYGODOHMYGOD! I GOT A SEVENTY-ONE!" I squealed. "I passed!" I smiled, engulfed in hugs by my brother. I hugged my dad after I broke it with Freddie.

"I guess that would explain this. . ." he told me, showing another envelope.

I took it from his hands, carefully opening it.

This certifies that Alexis Marie Leo having completed the requirements prescribed by the Board of Education is declared a High School graduate and is hereby awarded this diploma.

My lips dropped. "Oh, my God! Daddddddyyyyyyyy!" He chuckled as I squealed like a little piggy, pulling me in for another hug before I hugged my brother.

-

Vincent was supposed to be coming back today. He texted me early in the morning that he was boarding his flight. I took a shower to get ready to see him. Before I got into the shower, I went to pee. When I pulled down my panties I learned I was spotting. It made me want to kill myself. It meant I stained my pretty underwear.

When I got out of the shower I had no clue what to wear. It was still winter and I didn't want to freeze but I didn't want to look ugly in fifteen layers of clothing. I ended up wearing jeans, a tank top under a pink shirt. I grabbed Vincent's leather jacket before throwing on a pair of shoes and heading downstairs.

I felt like a little ball of energy as if there was a bundle of joy and excitement in my stomach. I felt genuinely happy and I couldn't stop smiling. I liked feeling this way.

Dad picked up Freddie before we went to the airport. I didn't even care that Freddie was coming, I was just happy to know that I was going to see my boyfriend. Dad carefully parked in the garage before allowing me to get out of the car. I was the first one out and also the first one in the airport. I kept looking between my phone and the gate to wait for him. My phone buzzed and the message telling me he was leaving popped up. I couldn't contain my excitement. I felt like jumping up and down. I wanted to squeal like a little baby pig. Call me Wilbur. He was a happy piggy, right?