Played

Maybe in Dante's mind, he had to babysit me? Maybe he thought I was a child that needed to be dutifully watched over? Maybe he was on set instructions? Maybe he didn't know dad would never leave me without enough security?

I wasn't sure. All I knew was that he was hovering. Well, maybe that wasn't the right word? Maybe he was concerned? He ended up not going to lunch (which I yelled at him for because he should see his family) and waited up for me, hovering the whole day. I honestly didn't know what was on his agenda.

"So," I started, getting some water, starting off my morning. He was carefully watching me, sitting on a stool. "Do you want anything to drink?"

His eyes lingered on me. Actually, they weren't on me, he was focused on my wrists. When I noticed, I brought them down, covering them behind the stove so he couldn't see them from where he was sitting.

"Alexis," he started, "do you hurt yourself?" he softly asked me, holding eye contact with me. I frowned, my eyebrows meeting in confusion as I brought up my wrists, looking at them.

"No..." I drew out, looking back up at him. "Where'd you get that from?" I asked.

His eyes stayed there for a moment. "Well, you're young and a lot of young children do that in their youth when they have problems. You seem to have a lot of problems."

I scoffed at him. "I don't have problems, Dante, but thanks."

"No, that's not what I mean. Like- issues? Um, you just deal with a lot with the family business and everything," he explained while I glared at him.

"I don't need your pity," I pointed out, not really knowing what else to say. I moved over to grab some fruit to cut up.

"I don't pity you," he corrected, "I'm concerned how you're handling things." When I didn't say anything, he continued. "I'm sorry for bringing it up, but you do realize you and Vincent aren't together anymore, right?"

I looked up from cutting the strawberries. My eyes were slightly collapsed in a glare. "I think I would know. I'm the one who said it!" I snipped.

"Well, you're just not acting like it. Has it just not sunk in?"

"Sank in. Okay? It's sank not sunk, you fucking idiot," I spat at him.

He raised his brows, pressing his lips together. "Okay... it's sunk but-"

"I think I would fucking know. You're not even American but thanks for your opinion," I snarled, chopping up my mango.

Dante stayed silent for a second. "I am a lawyer. I am from America- if you forgot. And, I do know English and my English grammar. It's sunk because of the form of 'have' in front of it, but I know you're angry so I will take these as words of anger and nothing more."

I didn't respond to him. I didn't even look at him. I just continued to angrily chop up my fruit. I took all my fruit from the chopping board and moved to the counter near the blender, adding milk, brown sugar, honey, and ice. The loud roar of the blender took up the silence. I hated how Dante was being. I hated everything. I hated the world.

I grabbed two cups once it was done, silently giving one to Dante.

"Grazie," he nodded as I moved the blender into the sink to wash it off. "All I was saying is that I'm concerned."

"And I appreciate it but I don't need your concern. I know what I did," I simply responded, not wanting to get in another fight.

"Okay," he agreed, taking a sip of the smoothie. "I'm just telling you now, Vincent isn't the type of man to let things go. He's quite infatuated with you and from what I've seen, you are too. So-"