v

↳ ❝🍓 [chapter 05] ¡! ❞🚬

"EVIE, WATCH THIS!"

Eva's attention was always being pulled in one direction or the other. She worked with children for a living at a non-profit community center working to keep kids off the streets, away from drugs and gange violence, so she was no stranger to being called after. Eva's learned to multitask and divide her attention up to ensure no one felt ignored.

She knew the voice well, just like most of the children. They all had their own mannerisms of speakings, tones, pitches, etc. This voice, the enthusiastically chipper tone of a little body, belonged to Damian. The 8-year-old held a basketball in his hands far too small to get a good grasp on it with a wide, toothy smile. He's grown a bit of an attachment to Eva over these few weeks.

Eva watched as he threw the basketball (in improper form but it wasn't like she was any better) and got it through the hoop just barely after it bounced off the backboard. She brought he rhands to clap for him, accompanied by an encouraging smile. "That's great, Damian!"

Eva loved kids. They were the epitome of purity and innocence, like a field of untouched daisies. Pure white exteriors with brilliant gold centers. They were just bundles of pure joy and bliss because they were ignorant to all the horrors of the world. Eva wanted the chance to teach them how to go into the world safely. Instead of falling into the gang activity that seemed to drown this neighborhood, they could play basketball, football, dance, anything that would keep them from straying off the paved road for them.

Eva looked over the children with a fond smile. Namjoon and the other adults were off playing with the rest of the children in the field and on the playset. It was raining earlier but the grey clouds which once weeped to the Earth had passed to let the sun warm the inhabitants that claim this world. The hair was humid with the distinctive scent of petrichor.

But her moment of solace was ruined by the sound of someone else calling for her.

"Aye, lil' mama!"

An unmistakable nickname belonging to one of those gang members Eva wanted the children to stay far away from. If only she could take her own advice.

Eva whipped around towards the chain-link fence that separated the outdoor area of the recreation center from the street. There stood Hoseok standing tall with his undercut on full display in the bright sunlight. His fingers grasp at the wet fence, fingers curling around the exposed, rusting metal like one wrong move wouldn't kill him from tetanus.

A dimpled smile found his roseate lips as their eye found each other and just as quickly as he called for her, he motioned her closer like he had something important to tell her.

Eva was hesitant to walk over. Why was he here, she was in the middle of working? Was there something wrong with Yoongi? She looked back to Namjoon who was now looking between her and Hoseok with slight curiosity and a defensive posture. He makes himself seem bigger than he already is, arms crossed, chest puffed, the dimples in his own cheeks showing as concern crossed his features.