xx

↳ ❝🍓 [chapter 20] ¡! ❞🚬

SILENCE. A new constant between them as they lie completely and terrifyingly still on opposite sides of Eva's bed. They're a million miles apart, but they couldn't be any closer than they are right now. Their hearts have blossomed into beautiful, bloody roses, unable to be closed now that they have opened. They're utterly terrified of what was meant to come next.

They lay there for at least an hour, maybe more, they aren't sure. An entire hour of silence before Yoongi finally parts his dried lips to speak. "Angel?" He's still calling her that after what just happened. No matter what either of them did, she'd always be "angel" and nothing else. Eva always considered asking him if he even remembered her real name, if "angel" was just some cute nickname to distract from the fact that he doesn't know what she's actually called.

He does. Yoongi's played with her name on his tongue more times than he can remember. Evelyn. Eva. Angel.

Eva considers responding to him with the diligent desperation of a dog being called by its owner, but she finds herself too shocked to say anything in return. He tries again, and again, she doesn't say anything. His calls for her are met with sharp silence.

Yoongi assumes she's asleep, a fortune only she has. He can't sleep with the feeling of her lips against his. He can't sleep knowing he hadn't kissed her long enough to confirm the taste of her lips. He can't sleep being so impossibly close to her. It's a sick comedy. He had come into her room to help him sleep and still, he was restless.

Eva stares into the eternal void which threatens her with forever, listening to the shuffle of sheets as Yoongi slips carefully out of bed. He's good at being silent. He's surprisingly light on his feet. If it wasn't so quiet in here she'd probably not even hear him moving through the shadows. But she can feel his presence. Eva knows that he's making his way around her bed towards her side and quickly shuts her eyes to keep appearances.

He stands before her, staring at what he assumes is her sleeping figure through the darkness while contemplating. Yoongi had shown his hand in the most complicated game of poker in his life, but she had shown hers too. She kissed him first. She tempted him. "I'll put my heart on the line if you put down yours", she tells him just through an innocent peck and he had taken the bait, kissing her back.

But this isn't a matter of if his feelings for her were requited. This was a matter of keeping her safe from those out to get him. It's fine to get the person you're after, but it's even better to pop the person they care for the most and that happens to be some sweet woman who had nothing to do with anything. Eva was innocent in a world full of guilt and she adored a guilty man.

So Yoongi bent down and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'm sorry, angel." He whispered to her hoping that she'd later forgive him for what he's going to do. He had to keep her safe and if that meant cutting himself out of her life entirely then so be it. He'll admire her from afar. Keep her safe just the same, but never would anyone see them together again. Yoongi had let this get too far out of hand.