xii

↳ ❝🍓 [chapter 12] ¡! ❞🚬

YOONGI DIDN'T KNOW WHEN EXACTLY HE began to come over to Eva's house on such a day-to-day basis for dinner, but one day he found himself on her doorstep for the 5th time. It had become routine for the both of them. They woke up with the idea of seeing each other at the end of the day on their minds. Their schedules consisted of each other, eating with each other, so much so that Eva began asking him what he would like to eat the next day.

It seemed to benefit the both of them. Yoongi would get a hot, homemade meal to finish off his day and Eva liked the company. Yoongi would show up, always sheepish like he was still embarrassed to be so attached to a girl like her. They would eat dinner while watching TV with light-hearted conversation and jokes which defuse the tension that always built between them.

It was domestic in a way Yoongi's never been exposed to. Attachment grows with every bite. He's exposed to warmth, a gentle touch on his cheek when he's been beaten down by the cold fists of the world. To have a place where he could sit down, kick up his feet, and eat a wonderful dinner was something he needed.

Sometimes Eva managed to convince Yoongi to go out into the small backyard she had (hardly even that, just a slab of 10x15 ft concrete on the ground enclosed by a chain-link fence) and they'd look out at the stars with pinprick the dark cloth of the night sky.

Yoongi's liked Eva from the jump, a pretty, clueless girl with no awareness of how this place works. But he'd never realized how truly affixed he was to her. She had grown on him, that little leech of love and affection. She was so endlessly loveable. Her voice felt like kisses on his eyelids, hands warmed his cheeks and turned them as pink as those cherry blossoms that litter the ground of the park, and her smile made whatever bullshit he had to deal with during the day entirely worth it. Yoongi was set up for failure from the very beginning.

He never told Eva about his feelings and he never planned to. Feelings made things complicated, more complex than they needed to be. Feelings were scary. They leave you exposed and vulnerable.

Feelings would get her killed.

Eva had called him a friend, clearly spelling out to him that she only liked him platonically. So why put himself out there? Why embarrass himself and wear his bloody heart on his sleeve like that?

Plus, Yoongi didn't mind their relationship remaining this way. Stargazing, eating her sweet little desserts with some sort of fruit incorporated, most commonly strawberries, being her guinea pig for new recipes.

Her smiles were enough. Her angelic laughs were enough. Just having her here in his life was enough. Yoongi was perfectly content with that.

He was okay with settling with this.

At some point, the two of them exchanged numbers, just to make deciding on dinner easier. Eva set his name as something cutesy and sweet. She always thought Yoongi looked like a cat. He acted like one too, disgruntled and unaffectionate on the outside but soft and needy on the inside.