Chapter 47 - Set the Timeline

Natalia's P. O. V

After the door was closed behind me, I ran off before Hailey had a chance to change her mind.

There were no errands to run, but I did think it was a good idea to pop in on the Syrens. Even if their invisible bodyguards would probably pass on the message of my return just fine.

Relaxing at the familiar sensation, I walked into Super Banking.

"Good evening, Natalia." Melody greeted, "How was your trip? I trust it was productive."

I smiled, "Yes, it was. Is Mrs. Burton in?"

"Of course. She's been waiting for you."

"Thanks." I waved, then started down the hallway and towards Mrs. Burton's office.

"Come in!" She called at my knock.

I opened the door, walking into her office.

"Welcome back, Natalia. How was your trip?"

I waved, then moved over to the glass box with the flame, "It was productive, but I'm sure you already have all the details on it."

"Yes, I do. The guards almost had to intervene on several occasions." She reprimanded lightly, shaking her head, "I hope these perilous trips of yours don't become a habit."

"Oh, they will."

She looked up sharply, "I beg your pardon?"

I moved over to the next box, fascinated with the mini blizzard trapped inside, "These perilous trips have a purpose. I'll probably leave the city at least five or six times a year."

"With all due respect, Your Highness," She began, and I noted her switch to formality, "till we can fully assess the state of Syrenlina, you are the only sure anchor for our world and we need you to be safe."

I took a seat, matching her gaze with all the seriousness my incoming request demanded, "I understand that, Mrs. Burton, I really do. And I know how important my life is to our safety. But there are things I have to do before I can settle in one place. If I don't do this, I may never be at peace to rule."

I leaned back and gestured to myself, "Besides, we've already figured out that I'm a Werewolf, not a Syren. I doubt I'll be in much danger. The only dangerous things that happened on the journey were the accident and the fight afterwards. I'm sure Hailey knows to drive more carefully now and the guy we fought with returned with us."

"That was just this time. It's not even completely safe here. Your mother's house is within the safe zone but the city is full of humans. And where humans are, there are bound to be vampires. It's already dangerous enough for you to live here, now you're saying you're going to be going on dangerous excursions so far outside our safe zones regularly?"

"When will I be expected to take the throne? Next year?"

She blinked, "That's actually something I wanted to inform you of today. Initially, you were to assume partial rule after a year of attending the School for Syrens and continue your education while in power. However, most of the High Court agreed that it would be best for you to graduate with the rest of your peers in three years then go through a year of leadership training afterwards. You were raised as a Werewolf, but we need a Syren Queen."

The change was in my favour, four years was enough, "I just need anonymity and relative freedom of movement for those four years. I'll be able to accomplish my goal then you'll never have to worry about me. I'll learn to be a Syren in everything but biology and take the throne, and all the responsibilities that come with it. I just need to be free to do what I need to do before that."