Chapter 51 - Bonfire

"Laura," Ms Zreed sighed, "I think you'll need to stay on for another week."

Friday had finally come around, bringing with it our oral review on Syren Fundamentals. Ms Zreed was seeing us individually, following the order of our class register, and there were just two people left before my turn.

We weren't allowed to review any notes we'd taken once we entered the classroom. Thankfully, a large chunk of the subject was based on observations most of us had made by now. I directed my mind back to remembering everything we'd been taught.

"Natalia, you're up!" Fabel called on his way out of the classroom.

I moved to the seat across from Ms Zreed's table.

"Hello, Natalia. Shall we begin?"

For the next few minutes, I narrated everything I'd heard her say in class and even threw in some bits of information I'd picked up from Lucy and Jenna.

When I was done, she raised her brows in approval and wrote something down, "Excellent job, Natalia. You're definitely done with this class."

I smiled, "Thank you, Ms Zreed."

I packed my things up to leave, finding Lucy and Jenna waiting for me in the hallway.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Jenna smiled as Lucy pushed off the wall to hug me, "We knew your review was today, so this one wanted to be here to either congratulate or comfort you."

Lucy stuck her tongue out, arms wrapped around my shoulders, "You say that like you didn't eagerly agree to the idea."

"Didn't say I didn't."

I laughed.

"Anyway," Lucy continued, letting go, "I was thinking we could go out for dinner to celebrate."

"Today?"

"No, next week." Jenna drawled, pushing off the wall, "C'mon. I know a great sushi place that serves Italian food too."

I cocked my head.

"It's owned by an Italian and Japanese couple." She explained.

"It sounds great, but can I take a rain check? My college is having a bonfire today and my sister said she needs me back home asap, so she can make sure I look 'fire'."

"I keep forgetting that you're an actual college student." Lucy pouted.

Jenna scoffed, bumping her shoulder, "How do you forget? There's always silence when Mr Jamerson calls her for attendance in homeroom. That should be enough of a reminder."

"I guess... Can't we come with you, Natalia?"

I shook my head, "I don't think so, Lucy. My sister doesn't know my mom was a Syren yet, and I don't want her to get suspicious from your scents."

"Scents?" A mocking voice called, and we turned to see Aubrey and her shadow, Olivia, "Look, Liv. The dog's talking about smells. I wonder if she sniffs her own ass too?"

I raised a wholly unimpressed eyebrow, "Dog jokes for a Werewolf? I've never heard those before! How original..."

Jenna and Lucy snickered.

Aubrey scowled, turning her nose up, "Probably because it's the most fitting for the likes of you."

"Or cause there isn't an original bone in the body of the likes of you." I shot back.

She huffed, turning to Jenna, "I really have no idea why a Duchess like you is hanging out with a blemish like her. I get that Lucy's like your family's charity case or something, but you really don't have to go so far. She's not threatening you, is she?"