Chapter 43 - Low Point

Callum's P. O. V

'What's even the point?'

That had been my general state of mind for the past two weeks... or was it three?

I didn't know.

Wishing I were still asleep, I opened my eyes and glared up at the sky.

It was a beautiful day. The clouds in the sky were few and fluffy, like layered cotton just waiting to be slept in. The birds were chirping their songs and a light breeze passed, rustling leaves and reminding me that I was naked.

Getting up, I looked around for any available robes, thankful I didn't have to go too far before I spotted one. But, still, it was much farther than I was used to, and it just reminded me again of how nothing would ever be the same.

Natalia used to hang them... somehow, she always knew the general area we'd all be in after the full moon.

I returned to the house and dragged myself to the bathroom. Some people say that a good shower's enough to get them out of a funk and ready for the day.

Liars.

Showers were only good for crying my lungs out without being overheard by everyone in the territory. And they still weren't completely useful for that purpose. Even with the shower set to its rowdiest spray setting, James, the guy in the room next to mine, had started giving me strange looks. My only consolation was that he generally kept to himself so word of my daily tear fests wasn't likely to spread.

The shower was the only place I was really allowed to grieve. Getting dressed, I had to leave my room to a world where I needed to pretend that I was okay with the death of my mate.

Immediately, I made my way to the work house where meetings and important events were held. With school done, the immersive aspect of our training had begun, so all those next in line for high ranking positions had to spend at least six hours in the work house, observing our predecessors and familiarising ourselves with important information.

Harry could get off a few hours a day cause he claimed that he did work in his office in our dorm-like house already. It was a blatant lie, but Alpha Lightwood seemed like the kind of man that would still be in charge even after Harry took the position anyway, so no one really said anything.

I didn't care. Going to the work house just meant that I could be alone with my thoughts for most of the day. I'd received praise a few times for my dedication to putting in more hours than required. Honestly, I just wanted to be away from the rest of my peers for as long as possible.

About an hour later, my dad walked into his office and stopped, seeing me seated in the corner, "In early again, son? That makes this a full two weeks now."

So it had been two weeks.

I shrugged, "Just eager to learn."

"I knew you'd hit the ground running as soon as you were born. Gifted, that's what you are." He settled behind his desk and started on paperwork, "Alright, give me the news for today."

I withheld a sigh, reciting the headlines and details from the news posts I'd been reading on the WolfNet.

Somewhere in my dad's mind, he was still holding out hope that I'd be a Gifted Werewolf and become a prodigy Beta.

Just like Connor.

Done with the news, I took a stack of yesterday's paperwork to study and sort through. I was to help him send the papers so the places they needed to go, but first, he always had me read them and ask about any I didn't understand. But I preferred to look for answers elsewhere. The one time I'd gone to him with confusion on something, he'd given me a withering disappointed look. Then he'd gone on to rant about how I should understand it and why couldn't I just get it and how Connor would never get confused by some thing so simple. After about half an hour of all that, he'd gotten round to giving the most belittling explanation possible.