Chapter 48 - Real Ones

Hailey's P. O. V

I was brushing my teeth after my shower when the off key chorus of my family singing 'Happy Birthday' in Keily's room began. I got dressed to the sounds of them cheering as she presumably blew out the candles on the cake. No sooner had I sat on my bed and prepared my appropriately grateful smile, than my own birthday procession began.

"Thank you, so much!" I smiled, blowing out the one stump of a candle they'd been able to relight.

My procession, made up of my Aunt Grelda and her two children, lasted as long as the candle. Once it was out, they were leaving as soon as they came.

"Your mom said you should join the rest of us downstairs." Keith, the oldest, told me, before following his mom and sister out.

'Happy Birthday, Hailey.'

I sighed, 'Thanks, Opelene.'

By the time I got to the living room, Keily was already digging into her gift pile. The rest of our family and family friends were crowded around her, and the ones that weren't were already divvying up the cake.

"Oh!" Mom gushed, handing Keily another gift, "Grandma sent this over from the Fae Realm."

"Oh, my god! Is this what I think it is?" Keily squealed, ripping the shimmering wrapping paper off and cradling the milky orb inside.

I leaned over to Keith, "What is it?"

He replied without taking his eyes off the ball, "That's a Fae Orb."

I watched Keily inspect the orb. It was the size of a baseball and cloudy, softly illuminated by a swirling, dim light, "What's it do?"

"Apart from communication, it basically lets the owner have some kind of control over an element in the area. Grandma must have really impressed them, cause they don't just let any non-Fae have it."

Keily focused on it and it brightened. A light breeze swept through the room, dissipating with a soft whoosh.

'So, Keily has something that practically lets her perform elemental magic?' The dread in Opelene's voice reflected what I felt. I didn't want to think of the things she could get up to with it.

After she'd moved on to the next gift, my attention was drawn to Jane, Keith's younger sister, pulling on my shirt.

"Happy Birthday, Hailey." Her eyes were huge with pride as she handed me a drawing of what I was sure was her depiction of the two of us.

I inspected the picture with a serious face, nodding solemnly, "Janie, are you sure you didn't steal this?"

She shook her head vehemently, "No!"

I squinted at her, raising my brows as far as they would go, "Are you sure?"

She giggled, hiding her face behind her hands, "Yes!"

I wriggled my brows, "Are you really...?"

She knew what the look meant. Squealing, she took off running and I chased after her. We weaved between irritated family members and guests, and I let her get to the kitchen before catching her and scooping her up in my arms.

She screamed as I tickled her all the way to the back yard. Once outside, and away from the rest of the party, I put her down, laughing. Her giggles subsided into a pleased grin as I looked at the picture again.

"Thank you, Jane. This is the best gift ever." I told her, embracing her tightly.

"You're welcome, Hailey. I love you."