Chapter 35 - When We Sleep

Hailey's P. O. V

"Kaesha... Kaesha, we're here. You need to wake up." Ari said, softly tapping Kaesha.

She stirred, eyes shifting under her eyelids, before they snapped open. The Sienna rocked violently and Ari and I were pushed several feet backwards, landing on our asses on the porch.

"No! Please! Don't take it!!" She shrieked.

"What the fuck?!" Tim yelped from the back, startled awake.

A few moments later, having comprehended the situation, he reached forward, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Kaesha, breathe. You're gonna wreck something- or someone." He said in a soft voice, "Whatever you feel threatened by, isn't here. You're safe. No one's gonna take anything from you, okay?"

Not long after the words left his mouth, the Sienna stopped. Tim sat back, sighing.

"What... Ava? Hailey?" She jumped out, running towards us, "Are you okay? I'm so sorry! Here, let me help you. Are you hurt? Did you hit anything hard? Can you wa-?"

"Kaesha." Ari said calmly, waiting for the psychic witch to calm down, "It's alright."

"Are you sure? I can heal you if anything hurts."

Ari smiled, "We're not hurt, are we Hailey?" She turned to me.

Well... my butt's sore...

I shook my head.

"There. We're fine." She got up, dusting off her hiney, then lent me a hand, before turning back to Kaesha, "Come on, you still need rest. Let my show you your room. You can take a shower before going back to sleep, if you'd like."

"Thanks, Ava..." Kaesha said in a small voice, following Ari inside.

I looked back at Tim as he climbed out of the vehicle, shutting the door behind him.

"I guess you're not so grumpy." I commented once he reached the porch.

He rolled his eyes, "The rocking was giving me a fucking headache. Was I supposed to just sit there and let her play bumper cars?"

"But... you sounded kind."

He scoffed.

"Come on," I grabbed his hand, leading him into the house, "your things are inside. I'll take you to your room. Ari let you have the biggest one. You even get your own bathroom."

I knew Ari didn't trust him, not the way she could with me or Kaesha. He was far too closely connected to her former tormentors for her to comfortably do so. But she was at least trying to make him comfortable, and that was a start.

"How nice of her." He rolled his eyes, words dripping with sarcasm. A second later, he snatched his arm from my grip.

"Meanie." I grumbled.

He sneered, "Boo hoo, Sunshine. Gonna tattle on me? Make Ari take the big 'ol room from me?"

'He is so freaking rude!'

"Your room's over there!" I stabbed a finger in the direction of his door then stomped off to my own room. I slammed the door on the sound of his laughter.

It wasn't enough. The sound of his fading chuckles still reached my ears before it altogether stopped and he retreated to his own room.

'Apart from Keily and occasionally your mom... I've never seen anyone annoy you in such a short time with them. Even with Lance. He didn't really piss you off till that date.' Opelene observed.