Chapter 16 - A Slice of Chaos

Natalia's P. O. V

I found an alley. Looking around, I took of my shoes and ran to Killdrain, stopping just before I entered the premises. I put my shoes on and, taking a deep breath, walked into the compound.

I heard it instantly. The screeching quickly got to the point of borderline unbearable and I covered my ears in an attempt to block it out.

It didn't work.

Come on, Natalia. You've been put through worse by those bastards and bitches at the Lightwood pack. This should be nothing. I thought to myself, hoping to find the resilience to stand the pain.

'Nat, h-help!' Candy whimpered.

Quickly, I stepped back out of the college compound and the pain receded immediately, 'Candy, what's wrong?'

'It felt like I was forcefully being put to sleep.'

'Are you alright now?'

'Yeah, pretty much.'

I stared at the looming castle of a college building, 'What exactly is going on here?' I asked rhetorically.

**********

Arriving home, I locked the door behind me. Taking off my shoes, I bounded up the stairs, dropping my bag in my room and walked into the library.

I flipped through book after book in the history section, looking for anything pertaining to strange things surrounding Killdrain. I even searched through the education section. The only time I saw Killdrain was in the list of universities. It was at the top of the list in brilliance.

'There's nothing here that can tell us about what happened at Killdrain.'

'Don't worry about it, Nat. Why don't you research about Syrenlina?'

I sighed as I closed the book, 'Alright'

I looked through the history section but found nothing. Broadening my scope, I looked through the whole library but found nothing on Syrens or Syrenlina.

'That's strange. Surely, mom would have something on Syrens.'

'Maybe she didn't want visitors to come up here and find anything on her kind.'

I put the last book away, 'Now that you mention it, I didn't see anything about the Supernatural world apart from fiction novels.'

I remembered when I was five, I asked her about her house after she'd told me she didn't really live in the pack house.

"It's really big. The back garden is beautiful and there are chandeliers in almost every room. It has lots of rooms but my favourite is my bedroom."

"Why is that?" I'd asked as I held the handmade doll she'd sewn for me.

She'd smiled as she stared into space, remembering, "It has a secret passage to an underground room. It was a place I could go to and feel like everything was alright. I was safe in my room."

I'd brightened up upon hearing about the secret room, "Can I go there?"

She'd laughed. It was a melodious sound, "Someday, I promise you'll go there."