Troubled

'What happens if I refuse?' I asked Yakone.

'Then you can kiss your firelord goodbye. And I'll make sure your there to watch.'

I felt my eyes begin to water. 'Why me? Why not anyone else? I heard that there was another bloodbender in republic city.'

'I was the bloodbender!' He shouted.

My face paled. Was I in danger? 'Was?'

'Yes. I was one until your friend took it away.' He spat.

'Aang?' I cocked my head to the side.

'Yes. The avatar. I left my pregnant wife and son to go to republic city. I used to bloodbend people, trying to take over the place. Until they caught me and gave me a trial, which I was found guilty. Of course I didn't give up and fought back.'

I thought for a moment. 'Weren't your hands tied up?"

'Yes. But I didn't need them. All I did was stare at them and they were all on the ground.' He said, smiling at the memory.

'You used your...eyes?' He nodded. 'YOUR CRAZY! YOUR SICK AND CRAZY AND YOUR GONNA GET OUT OF THIS TRIBE IF YOU KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU!!!' I stood up using all of my strength and pushed him against the flap. Just as I did that, we heard someone walking in the snow.

'Mark my words, you'll pay for this. Rat me out and your dead, along with all the people you love.' He growled and ran away. I stumbled back to bed and put the blanket on me.

Thirty seconds later, zuko opened the flap and walked in. 'Katara? Who were you yelling to?'

I looked away from him, refusing to look him in the eyes and lie. 'No one.' I said quickly.

'You were yelling to...no one?'

'That's right.' I sighed. 'I'm gonna go back to sleep. You should too.' I put my head on the pillow and closed my eyes. I felt zukos stare on me. After a few seconds, he walked away.

In the morning, I looked out the flap and saw zuko walking around. With Yakone close behind. 

'Zuko! Over here!' I waved to get his attention and when I had it, I pretended to fall down. He ran and helped me up. While he was balancing me, I gave Yakone a dirty look. 'Thanks zuko. Guess I still need rest, huh?' I chuckled awkwardly.

Yakone walked up to us and smiled. 'Master katara? Are you alright? I saw you getting whipped. Mind telling us why?' Zuko looked at him.

'Actually, I do mind. It's a personal reason that stays with me. Change of subject. What did you say your name was?' I smiled widely. Zuko narrowed his eyes at me.

'Katara...can we talk?' Zuko took my arm and pulled me into my tent. When we sat down, he put his hand in my pocket. He pulled it out and opened his palm to me. I gasped.

'My...my necklace...'

'Yes. The one you gave me back at republic city when you bloodbent everyone.' He said. I felt like I couldn't breath anymore. I stood up and walked towards the flap.

'You can't walk away from this katara! You can't avoid me forever!' Zuko yelled. 

'I can and I will.' And I opened the flap and left zuko in the hut.

I walked to the main office and knocked on the chiefs door. 'Come in.' I heard my brother say. I opened the door.

'Hey Sokka...can I ask you a question?' I looked down.

'Sure.' And he waved his hand, dismissing the people there and closed the door. 

'I-in republic city, zuko told me there were two bloodbenders on the loose. One which you held trial to. What happened to him?'

He raised an eyebrow. 'Why would you want to know that?' But the look on my face made him continue. 'His gang helped him escape out of prison and he ran away.'

'Where is he now?'

'Well, we don't know.' He looked down.

'Do you have a picture of him? Anything?'

'Why does it matter so much katara?' He banged his fist on the table.

'Because...' Rat me out and your dead, along with all the people you love. 'Because I can't live my life knowing there's another bloodbender out there!' I shouted back.

'Katara? We need to talk.' I turned and saw zuko at the doorway. I glared at Sokka and walked outside.

'What do you need?' I said as I stood in my hut with zuko in front of me. He walked so close to me, our foreheads were touching. He took my hand and gave something to me. I looked down and saw my necklace.

'Please. Katara, I've been in love with you since the day I took that bolt of lightning for you. When I proposed to you, you accepted and now I'm a ghost to you. Please katara.'

'Zuko....after all I did, would you really want to marry me? A monster? I feel like Sokka knows because well, I'm a bloodbender, I traded him for you, and-' I hesitated.

'And what? Katara, is there something bothering you?' I walked to the couch and shivered.

'I'll start a fire.' He crouched in front of the fireplace and with the tip of his fingers, he made a fire. He heaved himself up and sat next to me on the couch.

'There's something your not telling me.' He tried getting me to look at him but I refused.

'Everything's fine, zuko.' I lied.

He chuckled. 'You don't need toph to know that's a lie. Come on katara. Talk to me.'

'If I tell you, you could all get hurt.' I felt a tear slowly fall down my face. He sat up straighter.

'Someone threatened you? Who?' He asked. I stood up.

'I'm gonna go to bed. Night zuko.' I opened the flap to my room and sat on my bed. Tears were streaming down my face. When I heard his footsteps retreating outside, I buried my face in my face and sobbed.

'Well, well, well. The little princess is upset.' I looked up and saw Yakone with his arms crossed.

'What do you want? And why are you in my house?' I glared at him. 

'Your boyfriend is gonna be on your case now he knows that I'm here. I wonder why. All you have to do is teach both my sons bloodbending and I'll never talk to you again. Simple.' He jabbed a finger at me which I swatted away.

'Well, if this is what you want, Im going for...a little walk as you could say. Maybe have a small chat with the firelord.' He smiled. My eyes widened. I fell on my knees and gripped onto his parka.

'Please no. Please! I'm begging you please don't do this.' I whimpered, feeling very weak. I wanted to do something but I vowed to never bloodbend again. He tried shaking me off.

'I'LL DO IT!!!....I'll.....I'll teach them.' I said. He grabbed my arm and pulled me up. 'Be at my house before sunrise.' And he threw me on my bed.

I was staring at the ceiling trying to calm my shaking hands when I heard the flap of my tent open.

'Katara? Are you okay?'