Chapter 34

After an exciting night of wedding planning and a romantic dinner with Rio I felt completely refreshed for work. Arriving at the office far before our usual clock in hand in hand with steady jaws. We prepped everything that needed to be prepped and saw that Rio's things had been moved into my office. 

"Violetta?" Candace popped her head in, her eyes still bleary from the killer hangover she was sporting. "He's in the lobby." 

"Send him up." I retorted and she nodded before hurrying back to make the call. Rio and I stood beside the elevator and awaited his arrival, anticipating the loud ding that resounded through the office. 

The doors slid open and there stood Peter, hands in pockets and wearing the usual business smart outfit he always had. It brought a sick sense of nostalgia to me, my mind flooded with all the memories we shared on this floor. His smile was nervous and shy, not entirely sure of what to make of the situation and I couldn't blame him.

"Peter, welcome." I greeted, the usual warmth in my tone stripped to a cool exterior that oozed professionalism.

"I'm glad to be back." He retorted and I lead him to his old office. "I see there's been some renovations." He glanced around, his eyes landing on the door on the far wall that connected to my office. I opened my mouth to make some cocky remark but I hand around my hip beat me to it.

"Yeah well, if you see a sock on the door you know what to do huh?" Rio's tense voice ground out. 

"Now, now. Let's keep things above board shall we?" I interrupted in an attempt to diffuse whatever testosterone festival had transpired. 

"Yes of course." Peter retorted as we moved toward the board room. Rio was at least trying to be on his best behaviour and I commended his efforts. "What's the first order of business?" The rest of the highest ranking staff were already seated around the grand table with anxious glances. 

"Well, as I'm sure you are aware you will be returning to head of transport and distribution. You will need to be caught up on the new manufacturing schedules and the expansion of our client base which Rio will go over with you." They took their seats and Rio nodded smugly.

"Yeah my boys and I will brief you." The representatives of Rio's sector all nodded in agreement. 

"Later today the three of us will be meeting with the Risneed sisters to assess the most efficient way to continue. They will both be hopefully joining our ranks for cyber security." I explained, my hands folded in front of me.

"Understood." Pete nodded and I offered a half smile as a form of peace offering. "Ok let's begin then shall we?"

The meeting dragged on for the better part of an hour and I could feel my mind wandering slightly before we finally adjourned. We retreated to our respective offices in preparation for the Risneed sisters arrival. 

"I still don't trust him." Rio grumbled in frustration.

"I'm very aware of that, thank you darling." I retorted, equally as frustrated. I was sick of this constant back and forth. I was starting to miss the days when this was a solo act. 

"Have you spoken to the family lately?" He questioned, trying to change the subject as he grasped my frustration. 

"Not since we dropped the kids off the other day, I just figured that the less they know the better." I retorted as he wrapped his arms around me.

"You're doing great mama." He supported and I felt my muscles relax under his touch. 

"You ever think about leaving this all behind?" Rio pulled away from the embrace slightly as his eyes widened.