Chapter 27

We woke in the early hours of the next morning, feeling the stress settle upon us again, if I was going to get my family involved I needed to ensure it was as safe as humanly possible. I was still completely against using them at all and knew that I would need to really convince Rio to drop his fixation on utilizing them.

"I just don't understand how they could do any better than anyone else I could hire." I argue filling the car with more tension as we drove to the office.

"Cause he wouldn't expect them. They're mothers, they ain't got a scary bone in their body." I scoff, rolling my eyes.

"There's gotta be another way." He glances at me before ensuring the partition between us and the driver remained in place.

"Of course there is darlin." He speaks lowly and my eyes widen. "I only said that cause I have a feeling they have cameras in that office." He winked and I gasped.

"You are incredible." I kiss him. "So what's the real plan and why on earth have you waited til now to tell me?" I question.

"Cause I don't think you'll like this plan any more than the other one." I gesture for him to continue. "We're going to have to face them head to head." I was about to retort with my concerns of the potential dangers of such a plan when my phone rang interrupting my thoughts. I answered and put the phone to my ear, hearing Beth's voice on the other side.

"Violetta?" Her voice sounded hoarse as if she'd been crying.

"Hey Beth, what's wrong?" I question, placing the phone on speaker, giving Rio a concerned glance.

"It's Dean." A sob erupted from her lips as she struggled to form the next sentence. "Vi h-he, He's been in an a-accident." My eyes widen and my eyes fill with my tears.

"Is he ok?" I question frantic, the tears falling down my face as I begin to hyperventilate.

"He's in hospital, t-they don't know if he's going to make it." My breath catches in my throat and my chest burns from lack of oxygen. I couldn't speak, the words choked. Rio takes the phone, undoing his seatbelt and pulling me to his lap, holding my head to his chest.

"We're on our way, We'll be there in a couple of hours." He hangs up the phone as I begin to sob uncontrollably, everything feeling as if it was in slow motion as my head throbs with panic.

"Let ta? Baby I need you to look at me." His finger props my chin up. "Breathe with me." We inhale and exhale together. "I'm going to get the jet ready and we'll be there as soon as possible I need you to take deep breaths alright?" I nod and continue breathing, slowly calming down.

He gets on the phone to who I assume is the airport, setting up the jet to leave practically upon arrival, making a number of threats and bribes until it was absolutely possible. He redirects the driver, forgetting about our luggage back at the hotel. His hands stroke my hair and I let him console me, in no state to repel his affection.

We arrive at the airport in less time than I'd anticipated and in a matter of ten minutes we were through check-in and boarding the jet, Rio using his persuasive charm and our abundance of money to get us in the air as soon as humanly possible. Once I was sitting in the familiar seats of the jet he explained that he was going to make a couple of phone calls that shouldn't take very long. I nodded, my leg bouncing anxiously as I awaited the second we landed.

He was not allowed to die yet, I was in no way ready to lose my brother so soon. Not without saying goodbye. I kept a silent chaos swirling in my head, hoping and praying to any higher power that would listen. Hoping that somehow he got through this. I could faintly hear Rio's conversations and managed to gather that he had been organizing everything at the Chicago office to ensure that no further damage happened in our indefinite absence and then he prepared all the necessary things for our landing. He'd organised one of our staff to pick us up, giving orders to drive as fast possible and then speaking to the hospital to make sure that Dean was rushed into surgery with the most qualified surgeons they had and that they had Beth and the kids waiting in the nicest waiting room with privacy. My heart would be filled with pure admiration if we were in any different circumstance.

The most admirable thing? When I asked him who he was talking to he simply answered that he was helping a problem at the office, in no way seeking any type of gratitude for his efforts. This was a side I had never witnessed from him, he had launched himself into complete damage control, stepping up and minimising every bit of stress I was under.

I have never loved him more. He moved to sit beside me and brought me into his arms, whispering encouragement and hopeful words in my ears. Trying to assure me that everything really would be ok. We stayed like that for about half an hour before my phone rang again. I answered immediately, expecting to hear Beth on the line again but was instead met by a male voice.

"Noticed you aren't at the office, retreating so soon?" Pete's voice taunted me. I cleared my throat and mustered up my strength to reply.

"More pressing matters require my attention." I wave Rio away, afraid of his reaction to Peter. He also receives a call and takes it in another room.

"More pressing matters? I don't remember anything being more important to you than the company." He teases nastily and I'm in no mood to deal with his snarky comments. I was going to spit an insult in retaliation but Rio's voice cut me off.

"Beth says that they've taken Dean from surgery, he's in critical condition and they are giving him some more tests before determining the best way to move forward." He calls out from his phone.

"Oh my god." I choke out. "Please tell me that he'll still be there when we get there." I plead and Rio recites the question on the phone.

"They don't know if he'll make it that long, it depends on how successful the next surgery is." He calls out again and I sob. I hear a low gasp close to my ear and I realize that I hadn't hung up ad Pete had head the entire thing.

"Violetta I'm sorry-" He begins but I cut him off.

"Don't pretend like you give a single fuck about me or my family, you're probably just upset you didn't get to do it yourself." Then it clicks. "This was your doing wasn't it?" I question.

"It wasn't supposed to be that bad, he was only meant to break a leg or something." He reasons pathetically.

"How could you? Do you really hate me that much?" I cry and I can feel the tension.

"I'm so sorry." His voice cracks and I realize that he is genuinely sorry.

"You have no idea what you've just done." I spit, venom lacing my words. "I hope you are happy." I can hear him choke up before I end the call.

"Who was that?" Rio questions, re-entering the main area of the plane.

"Peter." I hiss out. "You were right. He still feels something for me." I chuckle. "And it was his people that caused Dean's accident." I lock eyes with him. "I'm going to fucking murder him and everyone he's ever loved."

"We'll get to that. For now you need to focus on family." He reasons and I nod, running a hand through my hair. "Besides, we know he still loves you and we can use that to our advantage." With that we prepared for the landing, with every intention to get to the hospital without so much as a second to waste.

~~~~
I'm finally back after god knows how long.
I've decided Jake Gyllenhaal will be the face claim for Peter cause i love him

Also I'm thinking a flashback chapter of Violetta's childhood what do we think?